• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photos from Augustus Saint Gaudens National Historic Site

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone else been to the ASG NHS? It is a fantastic place to go to. The site is in Cornish, NH, a prototypical New England town, not very far from Hanover, NH, the home of Dartmouth College. My wife and I go up to ASG NHS once or twice a year and also spend some time at Dartmouth as that is where she received her undergraduate degree.

If you are into a lot of "action" then this definitely is not the place to spend a weekend. Saint Gaudens' home, he named it Aspet, is small and on the top of a mountain. It is also surrounded by hundreds of acres of trees and there really isn't anything else around to see. However, there are works by Saint Gaudens everywhere and you can touch them! That's right, it's an open air museum without rope, railings or glass to hold you back.

I have on my site right now a page devoted to images of the site, this is the link for the Saint Gaudens page. I have included fifteen images of absolutely wonderful pieces of art that one may see when they are up there. There are actually many more pieces to see, however, I only put up these few. Quite a few pieces are in the sprawling and well maintained gardens.

A few notes about each image. The Lincoln bust is imposing, it must be about 150% of life size. The Adams Monument, with the shrouded head, is somber, larger than life and somewhat aloof. The gold Amor Caritas is about seven or eight feet tall and stands next to a reflecting pool that has gold turtles on either end. This is just outside a small studio. The bust of Saint Gaudens was not done by himself but, rather, by Henry Hering right around the time of Saint Gaudens' death. The Farragut statue is the only open air piece that is covered. It may be because the base is an expansive stone piece, with many figures cut into it, and the Park Service is afraid it will weather too quickly. Diana is inside a terrific working studio that has many original Saint Gaudens drawings and papers. I believe the studio burnt down twice while he was based in Cornish. The model for the double eagle is huge, about three feet across, and was based upon his Victory from the Sherman Monument. Two of the various gardens are shown with statues in them. The bust of Robert Gould Shaw is there along with an enormous outdoor Shaw Memorial. I've climbed the base of that memorial and the figures are taller than me and I am 6'4". The Puritan is also massive and must stand a full seven feet tall. It is quite impressive. Lastly, there are two views of Victory, as mentioned earlier.

A trip to the site is a lot of fun if you like art, history and coinage. The times we have gone there have never been many people there and we have just walked around, without being bothered, for our entire stay. If you are in the NH area I would heartily recommend it! grin.gif

That looks as though it would be a great trip. Your pictures on your site are great. I have a son who attends college (in Boston). If I ever am able to do so, I would really enjoy going to the ASG Historic Site.

Tom,

Excellent photos and writeup, and excellent essay on the science of toning. Your web site is tastefully done.

Regards,

Beijim

Very cool Tom - the Park Service should thank you for your services! Great description, and it's a wonder that a person can be in such close contact with these great works of art.

I have always liked Saint-Gaudens' original image of Liberty on the sculpture you pictured. The angel's wings simply give her so much more of a delicate presence, and one that seems to bestowe the notion of peace.

I also like his rendition of Diana. My brother has done a sculpture of Diana making the huntress's call: Diana. Neat subject for those who love the mythology of nature.

Thanks, Hoot.

I've never been to the site in Cornish, but I have frequently visited the Park Service's website on ASG. Lots of great history and photos, but not much overlap with your photos, I was certainly glad to see them! Here is the park service website: http://www.sgnhs.org/saga.html