• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1995P PENNY

15 posts in this topic

Ok so its not brass cuz it IS attracted to a magnet.So what is it?Also can you see the pic I posted?? [/quote

it could be that the coin was stamped on a steel planchet and might be a 'rare' find but i think you may get some good advice here on the boards with advice towards your next step.

steve

Is it strongly attracted to the magnet or weakly attracted? And it may be a foolish question but just in case, you did make sure you were attracting the coin and not the staples in the holder?

As far as I know, zinc is not magnetic. There are many zinc compounds (zinc ferrite, for example) which are, but the zinc in coins is refined to the point that it would not be magnetic

It's likely a brass plating on top of a nickel or iron plating, all on top of the normal copper plated zinc.
Probably. The design looks mushed.

Bingo! Cladking got what I was headed for. Standard practice in metal plating is often to first put on a base plating of nickel and then the later or final platings. Nickel is magnetic, and if the plating layer is thick enough the coin will be slightly magnetic.