• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My artificial toning experiment on an 1881-S Morgan dollar (CAUTION: DIALUPPERS)

12 posts in this topic

Exactly one year ago yesterday, I placed a 100% blast-white original 1881-S Morgan dollar from an original bank-wrapped roll inside a previously-empty Canadian dollar box, sealed it and dated it, and put it in the basement. Absolutely nothing else was done with it. I opened it up last night, and the results are presented here for your information.

Just for disclosure purposes, I am selling the coin on eBay this week, and will mention the facts exactly as presented above.

Comments gladly welcomed.

p4030026.jpg

p4030027.jpg

p4030028.jpg

p4030029.jpg

p4030030.jpg

p4030031.jpg

p4030032.jpg

Ah, the infamous Canadian sponge which produced such toning over two decades (See below in a coin purchased from James without the box)

James, it is not clear from the picture but is there any hint of other colors on the Morgan you let tone?

1753787-1972CanadianDollarWellToned.jpg

1753787-1972CanadianDollarWellToned.jpg.9087b005cca82480aeb338d852e27011.jpg

(((James, it is not clear from the picture but is there any hint of other colors on the Morgan you let tone?)))

Yes! It is mostly a light wash of lavendar throughout the coin, but the cheek has toned a neat pastel blue color.

(((Interesting. BTW, James, I'm sure that it's just the photo, but Liberty's cheek looks thumbed. )))

Terrific observation, which plays into TJ's question. The cheek is actually a different color of the coin, and my theory is that, being the high area of the coin, it compressed the foam sponge, and I think that is the reason for the even-more accelerated coloration. Notice on the coin that TJ showed, the portrait is differently toned than the rest of the coin, and I think it's for the same reason.

Now here is fuel for thought: If this is AT, than what is it called when someone back in 1885 places a bunch of silver coins in a box in the basement of an old house and someone retrieves and opens the box today and has a whole bunch of toned coins? poke2.gifhi.gif