• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toneing on these Peace $'s

13 posts in this topic

hi.gif all i quite like these two 1922s

the first has an all over dark tone ? Would you say this was real toneing ?

1752842-8b3b_1_b.jpg1752842-8bcd_1.jpg

the second (Revrse picture only) i like the way the tone goes around the eagle

1752842-001e_1.jpg

what do you think and is there any premim for these types of toneing ?

thanks hi.gif

1752842-8bcd_1.jpg.3c602d9a023676eb674c0b10dfb11d83.jpg

That's where my ignornace comes in on toning. I don't care for the dar, colorful yes. I would probably dip this and let it start over if it was mine. Don't forget my ignorance I stated in the beginning. 27_laughing.gif

The top one looks or appears to be original (the oils in the finger print has created a darkened patina) be aware though, nicotine, like from cigar smoke can turn a Peace dollar into a subduded tone. Some, including me do not care for mishandled coins, so the premium went out the window.

The second one is pretty neat. I see that it's a Denver minted Peace with some rather strange toning around the eagle...I'd pay a bit more for this coin, looks natural.

The first one appears to be quite an attractive coin and, if I had to guess, I would think it completely natural. However, the second coin does not look good to me and I doubt that coin was never mishandled.

Peace dollars can be very appealing with the type of toning that you have shown Dooly. I like both of these coins although I would like to see the second one in hand. I would not pay a premium for the toning on either of these coins since neither is that unusual.

Hey Dooly

Nice coins, I'm not a great one for toned coins, I recently sold a 1922 S with similiar coloration of the first coin and I have had it for maybe 25 years. Maybe not quite as dark but similiar. I do think this is natural, the second I have no opinion. Still both are nice coins.

I don't think much of either toning and they shouldn't bring a premium because of it

but the coins themselves could be very nice. The first one looks so. The second, I can't tell because I'm only seeing the reverse.