• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: To the coward who thinks it's funny to rate my posts one star...

57 posts in this topic

Apologies to everyone for posting about this again. I continue to see my threads rated as 1-star, presumably by an individual who is attempting to in some way harrass me. I frankly cannot think of any other way to explain this trend I'm seeing, and I'd like to know why they feel they need to do this. I've been told to "just ignore" the person, but if someone's obsessed with me for some reason, I'd like to know who and why.

To the person in question:

You're not making me mad. I'm just puzzled why someone is so pathetic that they would obsess over watching for any post that I may make and rate it a 1-star as soon as they see it.

I've asked before that if anyone has any grievance with me, they should contact me and let me know. I think it would be important to get whomever this is some much-needed help. I have this mental picture of some fat, balding middle-aged guy who spends hours on these boards every day, scouring each post and lunging for the mouse every time he sees one of mine. Of course, this cowardly *spoon* does not have what it takes to actually communicate his anger towards me in a way in which I'd be in a position to respond to him (or perhaps reveal his identity). So...he will just continue to sit at his computer, making himself feel powerful by rating each and every one of my posts 1-star, in between wishing he had a life and searching for love on the seedy side of the internet.

I'm not afraid to respond to whomever is doing this in public. I've made a positive contribution to this board on numerous occasions since I've begun posting here; I've had a number of successful, mutually-beneficial transactions on the BST board; and I've made several friends here that share common coin interests.

If anyone is just doing the 1-star thing on my posts as a joke...I would ask them to let me know, so that I can stop feeling sorry for the sack of *spoon* that I currently imagine when I see a new rating on my threads.

If, on the other hand, you have a grievance with me...air it out unless you're afraid to.

Sorry Michael,

But I'm puzzled as to why someone is upset about some meaningless star ratings. THEY MEAN ZERO! Zip! Zilch! Nada! Don't sweat over it.

Maybe someone is out to get you, but after the first post about these star ratings. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people went out of their way to rate all of your posts with one star. Give it up!

Chad, I'm put off by this situation for two reasons: (1) there's possibly some whack-job out there who's got this real passive-harrassment thing going on, and (2) I disagree with those who, like you, say that the ratings system means nothing.

My buy/sell/trade threads are also getting 1-star ratings and I am concerned that potential buyers, sellers, or traders may think that I am untrustworthy (i.e., that someone has had a bad experience with me and is trying to warn people about me). I once had a lunatic new-user from these boards follow a link of mine to eBay and then procede to buy all of my items for sale using buy-it-now and then procede to immediately issue vile negs with no intention to pay me. It cost me time and very nearly money to repair my feedback and get the various fees refunded.

So you can see, I take it seriously when some nut over on these boards decides to act strangely towards me. I'm surprised that so few people here are bothered by an anonymous rating system being available on the BST board.

Tis a sad day when people stoop to the level of trying to mess with someone on an internet forum. Star ratings mean nothing to me at all. At either rate Michael is a good guy and I would vouch for him!

Ask Architect for help? He should be able to figure out who is doing the voting pretty easily and see if it's being done maliciously.

That being said, I can sort of understand why some people might give threads like "There are times when I really, really hate the US Postal Service..." a low rating. I haven't voted on that one and generally only give 5 stars when I do vote.

Does every one of your threads get a low rating or only some.

I played with them once .. I gave everyone 5 stars heheheh

You probably remember ... There were stars all over the place

I didn't fess up though heheheh

I gave this thread 1 star. confused-smiley-013.gif

Quit whining.

Well, I already knew what you think of me, so unless you're the one I'm addressing in the OP, I'm not worried about you.

For what ever it’s worth. I rated you a 5 to bring you up from 1 star. That’s all the help I can be. I agree with how you feel. This is supposed to be a community however I see it turning into a snobbery society ( Yes, I said it snobbery, look it up )

Edited to add: The Money Market Place is getting to be dominated by those who are influenced by others to question every little frigging ad that goes on there. Most of the interference I’m noticing is from those who probably don’t even own anything like what is being offered for sale.

I recently deleted one myself as did another person on the same day.

I was amused at you concern for the one star rating the last time, now its just getting comical. Oh by the way, its not me, I have larger issues in my life than rating you one star. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think voting only recently became popular on these forums. On other forums I've frequented, anonymous voting can lead to issues like the one we have here. Elsewhere they made the votes part of the public record and viewable by anyone. It seemed to help when it was implemented. Perhaps that is something NGC can look into?

I think voting only recently became popular on these forums.

Because of Michael bringing it up.

Should have just left it alone... Let sleeping dogs lie.

I was amused at you concern for the one star rating the last time, now its just getting comical. Oh by the way, its not me, I have larger issues in my life than rating you one star. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Not to be singling you out.

Michael is not whining, he simply wants to be respected. I think it is unfair to see a list of 4 and 5 star threads, especially 5 star threads with only 1 person rating them and see Michael singled out with a 1 star thread and 6 raters even after I had given him a 5 star rating to help him out. His material was no different in content than any of the other threads. IMHO I think someone is jealous of him or wants to discredit him.

you have been nice to me Via posts even though i am a New, thick norther (who cannot spell for love nor money) and asks simple/stupid questions and worst of all English, who for some daft reason likes USA coins.. O yes almost forgot sells junk on eBay !!!!! so if some 893censored-thumb.gif person wants some one to pick/prank on hear i am insane.gif and leave Nice people like pendragon1998 alone.

I have Star rated this post the number i think it warents as all the ratings i give!!!!

Ps 1000 junk 99p coins = 1 £500 stunning coin May take a bit more effort to get it but it makes the prize so much sweeter thumbsup2.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Sorry got a bit pent up there i feel a lot better now that i have let it out

Pps. Love the site and the banter keep it up..

dooly hi.gif

I assume everyone knows you can drag your mouse across the star in the ratings and see how many people have rated a thread. I just looked at OP and Michael has 2 stars and 8 raters. It takes more than one person to do this.

I never even rate any threads. I think you have posted some great posts and comments Micheal. Personally, I never pay attention to the star ratings. I merely look at the posts that I'm interested in or know something about and can give some input. As for grading posts, I really thing all posts should be 5 star. Each post has information that is worthwhile to all!! thumbsup2.gif

5star.jpg

I have only been on this site since November. I did not realize that as noted above you could drag your mouse across the stars to see how many ratings there were. Actually, I have only rated one or two posts, mainly because they were of high interest not only to me but to others as apparent by the number of views and replies and of course the content. I have occasionally looked at the Star ratings while scanning posts to view, but usually go by the subject and or the showing of reads/responses. I guess I never thought about how the Star Ratings were developed and posted but it seems to me that it is not a very accurate method of rating these posts.

I would not put to much emphasis on them, however if someone is doing something out of spite, that is not right and not necessary.

Rey

Perhaps the guy from Maine Coin Grading? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif After all, he attempted to do something worse to you on ebay.
What happened on the bay?

star.gif Again.

To date I have 1-starred only two of your posts - this one and the other one in which you whined about getting single stars. Looking your stuff up to give you more star.gif's isn't worth the trouble and besides, some of your posts are quite good so I won't bother. You should start out rating your own posts 5 stars and let the chips fall where they may after that.

thumbsup2.gif i like that idea as you can tell What people find intresting and what not to post..

Start on five and see how it goes !!! nice one hi.gif

You're not making me mad. I'm just puzzled why someone is so pathetic that they would obsess over watching for any post that I may make and rate it a 1-star as soon as they see it.

Hey, stalking is the ultimate form of flattery. grin.gif

Why not just rate everyone else's threads a one star in the off chance that you'll nail the sucker who is making your life difficult. insane.gif

Seriously though, this should be taken more seriously. It is a form of harrassment and should not be tolerated. There have been boneheads pop up now and again who may deserve a one star rating but Michael certainly does not fall into this category. I do not take this post as "whining". It is a legitimate concern that should be addressed.

Once again, Arch, I urge you to abolish the star rating system.

I would guess the only reason you are getting one star is because you let folks know it bothers you.

I don't rate threads but with all the insults you threw out at the start of this one, you will probably be getting many more. They won't come from me but you can't talk about others in this way and expect anything else to happen.

You should edit your post and move on.

Once again, Arch, I urge you to abolish the star rating system.
I think the star system is generally worthwhile, the issues with Michael's posts notwithstanding. I'd rather have public votes than no voting system, but getting rid of the voting system may be easier.

In my opinion, the star ratings for threads are useless and I say get rid of the star ratings for threads the same way the rating for individual posters was discontinued a while back.

There are people who rate every thread five stars and others who may rate a thread one star. This is their prerogative, after all why have the option to rate threads if you can’t rate them the way you want. However, does this mean that all the threads that were rated five stars were good or the threads rated one star bad? Well, maybe to the person doing the rating, but to someone else maybe not

One other thing I would say is that I do believe that you made a mistake with how you handled this from the beginning. The first thing a bully does is try to find what bothers you, so they can use it against you. You getting angry and letting them know it bothers you does not help your cause. Remember one thing Michael, people on this board will respect you based upon what you post, not on what your posts are rated by someone else.

John

I just gave your thread a 5 star rating. It was the best thread I have ever read about "star rating" flowerred.gif

Some advice: Don't let the star rating bother ya. There are much more important things in life to worry about. thumbsup2.gif

Not that important Micheal. Believe me, there are worse things to worry about. You're worried about your reputation and the possibility of you not being respected in selling coins. I respect your posts, comments, and have even looked at some of the coins you've marketed and see nothing that would make me dis-respect you in any way. I am starting to feel that you may have a slight temper over menial things. Temperamental judgement can be more of an influence over people more than you think. "Let the little problems fall where they may, and solve the much bigger ones"!