• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington dollar first day cover????

18 posts in this topic

Wow, my head hurts after reading that (it was a tad complicated). Hopefully an email to the customer rep about specific situation will help.

Since they are going to grade a sealed cover and also keep it that way, I am planning to have one graded as a sealed cover and the other FDC graded as 2 separate coins in the edge view holder (first day of mintage). The pricing and min. quantities are still an issue though frown.gif

New NGC certification option for FDCCs. Note this new packaging is NOT eligible for the grade guarantee which requires the NGC slab:

Because the coins are graded while still housed within the U.S. Mint Cover and will remain in this packaging, the NGC Coin Grading Guarantee does not apply. The NGC Guarantee applies only to coins in NGC holders. Like other NGC graded coins, the grades for these coins will be reported in the NGC Census, and they will be eligible for the NGC Registry.
Same grades:

422_Pres_FDC_same_o.jpg

422_Pres_FDC_same_r.jpg

Different grades:

422_Pres_FDC_split_o.jpg

422_Pres_FDC_split_r.jpg

I was thrilled when I heard that NGC was going to designate these "First day of Mintage"

But now I am ecstatic. I think this is way cool to keep the cover intact and grade them.

I will be sending in 10 this week.

Rookie Joe

Imagine if NGC graded/sealed the FDCCs in the Mint wrapping? Then you could play the crack out, err.. rip out game with FDCCs wink.gif

I don't see how the set can be properly graded with the mint wrapping still on. I would think this would entail an entirely new concept of being able to distinguish between flaws in the wrapping and the coins?? I don't think I'd want to spend that much money to have coins graded in OGP and take the chance of the coin grading lower than it might be and losing any re-sale value in the future. IMHO

Not sure myself first day covers have been around over hear a long time now (uk & the island's) and have dropped hugely in value since the boom in the 1980's 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and should the First coins not be at least MS68/69 ?

QUESTION:

I just checked the mint's website and the covers are now sold out. I did a search on ebay and saw none for sale.

How much are they selling for now? Are they bringing much of a premium, yet?

I checked EBay and there are a few on there, going for around 20-25 bucks. You can buy it now for $25. Or a 25 lot for $500. Getting them graded will sure bring some bucks.

My question though is still, should you really get them graded in OGP. I hate hearing about the gaurantee. Plus like I said, is the grading going to be accurate. I sent in 4 so maybe I will have 2 in OGP and 2 out.

should the First coins not be at least MS68/69 ?
It depends on how the Mint packages them. There have been reports that the coins look like standard business strike coins.

Unless I've never seen them, I've never heard of grading coins in OGP.
NGC does it for GSA Morgans and Brown Box Ikes but those were in hard plastic, not with soft wrapping:

86053-GSA_Holder.jpgarticle131.jpg

Unless I've never seen them, I've never heard of grading coins in OGP.
NGC does it for GSA Morgans and Brown Box Ikes but those were in hard plastic, not with soft wrapping:

Well I've seen these type coins, in fact I have a couple of the Ikes, but I never knew they were graded like that. I still can't see accurate grading done thru cellophane or plastic wrap.