• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan 1878-CC and New Picture Setup

7 posts in this topic

I picked up this 1878-CC Morgan Dollar in Charlotte last month. It is my first CC Morgan with no problems. It was sold as an EF coin--and I believe that is accurate. It is a pretty coin!

Now... to the image. After much discussion about using milk cartons, Ott Lites, etc., I decided to try the Coin Dome I once wrote about. I am using a Canon S2 IS camera in macro mode, placing the coin on a glass pedestal over 94 white paper. The light source was room light, specifically, the fixture in the dining room. Here is the result:

1751666-1878-CC_Morgan.jpg

I know I need to try to work on setting the levels to get a better image, but this is a good first attempt.

I like the coin and I like the picture!

Scott hi.gif

1751666-1878-CC_Morgan.jpg.76c5c26ff83edac1d414bba943f1d3fb.jpg

It looks as though the rims of the coin received almost enough light, but the central portions look too dark. Do you think the coin is sitting too high up on its pedestal relative to the lighting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The only thing I don't like about the dome set-up scott, is that it takes away any luster and it ephasizes on darkening the fields and outlines the details. You see what I'm talking about when you look at the eagle and obv face and hair. it's more of a sub=dued look for me. IMHO. Nice morgan BTW. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, the pedestal the coin is sitting on is too high. I need to raise the coin one inch closer to the lens, the pedestal raises the coin about 2.5 inches--that's too high. That will fix the darkness. I also figured out (a few moments ago), to move away from the light. I was right under the light. If I move to the side I get a better distribution.

As for the luster, I was given a trick I can use with my camera. The Canon Digic II processor can pick up that light with the right adjustments. I just need to figure out how I can do what was suggested with my camera. As we say in my industry, I need to go RTFM (that's Read The F<ine> Manual).

Scott hi.gif

Scott I use a canon S3. Does yours have the super macro mode? I took this in super macro with a florescent light on one side and a OTT on the other. My exposure was set I think about +1. I left the apherture setting on auto. I was about 2" from the coin.

1880SMorganNGCMS63PLRevObv.jpg