• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIFE COMES HOMES AND ASKS ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COIN?

21 posts in this topic

Real deal clipped planchet with the 180 degree (opposite the clip) Blakesly effect.

Super find!

Does not look all that beat up for a 96'er...perhaps someones collection was raided for a sugar rush?

Looks like a nice coin. The Blakesley Effect is a term used to describe inefficient metal flow, opposite a clip on a coin, when the rim is formed and the subsequent imperfect or incomplete rim formed at that position after striking.

Real deal clipped planchet with the 180 degree (opposite the clip) Blakesly effect.

Super find!

Does not look all that beat up for a 96'er...perhaps someones collection was raided for a sugar rush?

news to me. I'd a probaly tried to pass it off to the next store! foreheadslap.gif Good find errorist!

Looks like a nice coin. The Blakesley Effect is a term used to describe inefficient metal flow, opposite a clip on a coin, when the rim is formed and the subsequent imperfect or incomplete rim formed at that position after striking.

Is there anything about coins that you don’t know? Goodness gracious tongue.gif

Neat find errorist and great info guys, had never heard of the Blakesley Effect. I've read up on it and have positively learned from this post. Thanks all.

Before being struck the planchet goes between two rollers while on edge. This squeezes the edges in reducing the diameter and building up extra metal around the outside. This extra metal is necessary to form the rim.

If there is a clip or incomplete planchet the planchet can't be squuezed so there is no rim at the clip or just opposite the clip.