• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pair Japan Coins - Including The Yen of My Dreams!

10 posts in this topic

Pick up a pair of Japanese coins from Greg. I collect several different themes/sets but for Japan I have a quasi-type set where I collect in the absolute highest grade possible. These fit nicely...

First up, a 1905 10 sen. As a type coin 10 sens often come super-duper nice, especially those from the 1910s which were hoard coins. Earlier dates are more challenging, so I'm very happy to add this one:

1522062-006.jpg

Greg has a few more, so you may want to contact him should you want one too.

I've been looking for the "Yen of my Dreams" for a couple of years now. They very rarely come with un hairlined reverses and go for MOON money in very high grade, oftern over $2000 for MS67s. I've been creamed in several auctions, even wehn bidding 3-4x the estimate. Finally I have a superb gem yen, which happlily came in a merely gem holder. Bright white with great luster & frosty surfaces, and just one tic mark on the reverse - no hairlines! My opinion, no brainer 66 and 67 on a good day.

1522062-051.jpg

This coin gives me wood!

Thanks to Greg for giving me great deals on these, (I softened him up by doing some coin photography beforehand). cloud9.gif

The Japanese yen of that era had wonderful designs. thumbsup2.gif

I agree strongly with that. I have no other affinity for Japanese coins except the lovely designs.

That yen sure does look nice for the grade. Congrats thumbsup2.gif

The Yen does have several hits on it, but they are wonderfully well hidden and really take some looking to find. The nicest thing about it is that the reverse is not heavily hairlined like these usually come. I feel it is the nicest white Yen I've ever seen and that includes several MS67 examples.

I believe this coin will be in an MS66 slab without too much effort and could conceivably make MS67.

I believe this coin will be in an MS66 slab without too much effort and could conceivably make MS67.
What are the vertical lines on the field behind the dragon in the center of the yen? Would that keep it from making 66/67 or would that be overlooked?

Either way, it's a gorgeous coin smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

Here is a 1895 1 Yen PCGS MS65 for comparison.