• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commemoratives and SCDs: do you prefer Events or Anniversaries?

5 posts in this topic

Many classic commems and SCDs were issued in conjunction with expositions and other events at the time. Some of the events were anniversary celebrations but the medals were tied to a then current event/expo.

Today, many commemoratives are anniversary NCLT/medals to celebrate an event in the past and not typically associated with any current event such as a celebration.

Which type of commemorative is more meaningful to you, one that was associated with a current event at the time of issue, or one that was not?

I like both. I enjoy a historic commemorative just as much as an event related one. The design is also a big influence with me.

I believe that it is appropriate and deserving to honor and commemorate events, actions, etc. during or around the time they happen. This is necessary I believe in order to sustain the unity of our country and our selves. It is the "feel good" thing to do. However I more strongly believe that we need to never lose sight of the achievements, accomplishments, ideas and other historical events/thoughts/actions that have taken place and that really define and affect where we are today and how we got here.

Overall, we need to recognize and acknowledge more, regardless of when, where, who, why or how. So I say that the powers to be should be more aggressive in their identification of Commemoratives and SCD's as a whole. Let's celebrate what we have and why we have it.

Rey

I collect both events and anniversaries. However since my resources are finite, I try to purchase coins that celebrate important historical events, anniversaries or commorations. Many commmems. have a strictly special interest appeal and are limited in historical value.

I like both. I enjoy a historic commemorative just as much as an event related one. The design is also a big influence with me.

Hopefully I wasn't taken wrong as to disregarding the importance of events and historical reasons behind the commemoratives, I was merely stating my interest in the purchasing of such coins!