• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 Over 2 Jefferson - Trying to Confirm

11 posts in this topic

This 1943 Jefferson, I believe is of the 3/2 variety, however I am not 100% certain. These images may not provide enough detail for others to make a determination, if not, let me know. There are two areas of doubling evident on the 3 itself as well as the portion extending diagonally to the NE of the bottom of the 3. Fairly consistent with the description of the 2 and 3 in the CP Guide. Apparently this variety is also supposed to have heavy metal flow lines toward the rim as well as "mushy" letters and numbers. The area above the 3 on the rim an extending down into the field is also "raised" metal.

The color of the coin is not this Gold, I was trying to get the area around the 3 to show better.

Thoughts, Ideas?

Thanks,

Rey

1943-2.jpg

432.jpg

There is at least one obverse die that also has a die gouge inside the 3 that makes the coin look like a 1943/2. On a true 1943/2 you should also see some doubling on IGWT and LIBERTY, I believe.

If I had to guess, I'd say no, but you can't rule this out looking at an image. On a well defined 43/2, the bottom of the loop on the three has definite fish hook appearance with an appendage (a verticle portion of bottom of the 2) sticking up about a third of the way into the loop.

I had a close up photo, but when I did a systems restore *poof* all my neat junk went up in smoke.

I borrowed a higher power magnifying lens from a neighbor (wish it was mine now) and I do not believe this is the 3/2 variety. It appears to be more along the lines of the one that Tom mentioned which is the result of a die gouge near the bottom loop of the three.

I had also thought that there was doubling on the IGWT and Liberty, but that is still up in the air. Summation - not the 3/2 variety.

Thanks,

Rey

Not 100% but I think not, there should be a vestige of a "thin diagonal line from the upper part of the lower space in the 3, down to the left, through the base of the 3" per Q. David Bowers. The reverse die should show some light triple punching. From this picture it is hard to say for sure as their is some mark in the lower three but not enough, I think. Still a beautiful obverse.

That's awful close. There should be a little of the 2 under the three which is hidden in this picture. Another shot more from the left should be telling.

There are a bunch of things that look like the overdate including a couple die cracks and lots of split planchets. The bar in the "3" almost looks perfect but it's the only thing right.

Cladking,

Actually, once I had the stronger lens tonight and looked even more closely after my previous response it appears that the raised area right on the rim is actually a raised portion of the metal itself, sort of like a "flap" that is separated from the rim and sticking up. My proper use of correct vocabulary/terminology use with coins is still in development so forgive me, but I am assuming this may be what you have referenced. In addtion from this piece that is separated, what I though was raised metal running down into the field around the date is actually a crack which is obvious under the higher magnification lens.

Rey

Howdy Rey - The coin you have is an example of what TomB referred to. Nice piece! Here's a 3/2 (note the square base of the 2 inside the lower loop of the 3):

1750814-1943ov2Jefferson5c.jpg

Hoot

1750814-1943ov2Jefferson5c.jpg.56ba36e2edcd0accba685ce59667abcd.jpg

Thank you Mark. Definitely a difference there. I looked in your Registry for this but was unable to get the image large enough to see the details as you show them above.

Rey

There is at least one obverse die that also has a die gouge inside the 3 that makes the coin look like a 1943/2. On a true 1943/2 you should also see some doubling on IGWT and LIBERTY, I believe.

i agree

halfpint