• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US coin inventorying software

9 posts in this topic

I'm interested in software to keep track of my collection. While I've got a few Roman coins, I'm mainly interested in non-commemorative U.S. coins. Does anyone recommend anything? The idea package would also be able to print up inserts for plastic holders--that would be really handy.

While we're on the topic of coin holders, I'd like to rehouse my collection over time, and it includes a lot of MS stuff that is well worth spending a little money on. What do you like?

Also: there must surely be a numismatic term for the type of coins I collect. I don't care about bullion coins (which is my term, perhaps improperly used, for stuff like the modern buffalo gold coins), nor do I care about commemmoratives. I'm interested in US coins that were, at least theoretically, minted to be spent (including proofs of those types of coins). For example, my wife got me what's called a Feuchtwanger cent last year. It was thoughtful of her and she was trying hard, and I'm warmly grateful to her for it, but it also was not what I collect. My focus is on coins stamped at a US mint with at least the theoretical notion of circulation. I know I've rambled but that's because I don't have the exact term. Can anyone supply it?

I think the term you are looking for is US type coins. This goes from the half cent through the Eisenhower dollar in a Dansco 7070 type set.

Howdy and welcome.

While my method of keeping track of my collection likely will not satisfy you, since I do not know if labels can be printed from its use, I prefer to customize an Excel spreadsheet to hold all important data for my coins. Many folks on the boards use a similar approach, though each person likely does it in a slightly different manner.

For longterm storage of raw coinage I like to use Kointains, though some collectors believe they are a bit too difficult to use without problem. If you are interested in slabs for your coins, then most likely PCGS and NGC would give you the greatest liquidity upon resale, if current market trends hold over time.

The Feuchtwanger cents are quite cool and, although not an official US Mint release, I believe quite a few of these may have seen circulation in commerce since they were issued during the "hard times" period of 1837 and contemporary money shortage.

Howdy and welcome.

Thanks, Tom, glad to be here. I don't join boards readily, and I like those that are relatively genteel and civilized--as befits this hobby of ours. The forum rules reassure me that the staff promotes such an environment. (I'm an admin at a college football forum and we pretty much have to knock a lot of skulls together. Testosterone.)

While my method of keeping track of my collection likely will not satisfy you, since I do not know if labels can be printed from its use, I prefer to customize an Excel spreadsheet to hold all important data for my coins. Many folks on the boards use a similar approach, though each person likely does it in a slightly different manner.

I could use a spreadsheet, but I'm reluctant to resort to that if there's something really slick out there. I can easily envision some smart database programmer inventing such a thing, including image association, etc. And COINage never reviews such software, at least not thus far in my recent resubscription experience. I see some on the Kointains page by Carlisle Development which makes some impressive claims, and I might download a demo. I'm pretty hesistant to invest in learning new software unless I know I will surely use it for a long time, so I'm not in a buying rush.

For longterm storage of raw coinage I like to use Kointains, though some collectors believe they are a bit too difficult to use without problem. If you are interested in slabs for your coins, then most likely PCGS and NGC would give you the greatest liquidity upon resale, if current market trends hold over time.

I don't have a basic liking for slabs unless I can slab them all (and not all of mine would be accepted for grading). The Kointains look very nice but there doesn't seem to be a place to include a label, which I would really like to do. I don't show them to very many people, but when I do I like to display them with the respect due things of beauty and value.

The Feuchtwanger cents are quite cool and, although not an official US Mint release, I believe quite a few of these may have seen circulation in commerce since they were issued during the "hard times" period of 1837 and contemporary money shortage.

Yeah, the Feuchtwanger wasn't what I'd call totally irrelevant to my interest, and in any case the default setting is appreciation that my wife cared enough to seek out something she knew I wouldn't have. But my core interest will always be what I (rather peevishly, I admit, no offense to anyone) call 'real coins.' The next one on the list is a Saint. Must have a Saint.:)

Thanks for the input!

For software, are you using a Mac or PC? On the Mac, there is no known dedicated software that folks use, though I'm in the very early stages of developing one. For the PC, this topic has been posted before over the last few months, so if you do a search, you should find some suggestions.

I use, and like Collector's Assistant Plus with the Graders Assistant add on. It's put out be Carlisle Developement. It has data bases for US,Euro,World, and Ancient coinage. There are a lot of other cool features to this program also.Try to Google it and read about them. Also has several report, labeling formats. For my raw coins I like the Supersafe adhesive flips and store them in the 20 coin per page 3 ring binder pages. You can also buy Avery labels at your local Staples store and go to the Avery site and download the templates for them then format them with MS word. I'm sure there are a lot of others that have their ways of doing things too, but this is the best, quickest, most reasonably priced way I have found to keep things in order and safely kept for long periods of time without putting everything in slabs. Good luck with whatever you decide on. Welcome aboard. CC

Wecome JKK. I have been using pro-coin for about 2 yrs now. I like it. It has free updates, great tech support. There is a free 30 day trial if ya want to just look at it. I paid for it once and there's never been any updates charges.

here's a link if your interested. pro-coin

Thanks, folks. I'd seen Collector's Assistant but not the others, sounds like there are a number of good packages out there to consider. The decision of storage method and software might kind of go together if there are limited label sizes, etc. Or not. Part of this is learning what all is out there.