• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have attached another Morgan that I would like the boards opinion on

8 posts in this topic

will this rim ding keep this morgan from grading

Rim ding: No

Toning: Possibly

I can Assure that the Toning is Fine.I bought this off of K6 and he can vouch as well.

I’m not questioning your belief in its authenticity nor am I passing judgment (I apologize if it came across that way). However, if you plan on submitting, the only thing that counts is a grader’s opinion. Expect colorful morgans to be scrutinized fiercely at ngc and pcgs. My belief is that if graders are unable to reach a definitive conclusion as to authenticity, they will bag, whereas in the past they would be inclined to slab. Many will cite dealer pressure for this change, however I believe this change is driven by one thing—reputation (which explains why people will eagerly put up with second-rate customer service and wait a quarter of a year for grades).

I once thought I had a good eye for detecting AT, but have recently lost confidence in my identification abilities, my remedy is simply to stay away from pricey colorful raw morgans. I recently inherited a mini-hoard of morgans from my grandfather, some displaying awesome colors. I’m certain he purchased these coins in 1961 and that all the colors are natural, however I refuse to submit for fear of being bagged. Perhaps my paranoia is clouding my judgment. crazy.gif

I think I came off a bit strong in my response.I am sorry as well.

This coin was one that came from a bag of originals that K6 got and when I was over looking at some of them he was submitting he showed me some he was going to be selling raw.

I like the Cresent Tone of that one.

I have attached another that I would like the boards opinion on.

233934-morgana.jpg.d7cc9d523c27b44ab7a5453e6751035c.jpg