• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipping, cleaning coins...

6 posts in this topic

So you may all cringe when I ask this, but I have some gold bullion coins that really have no numismatic value, but only an instrinsic gold value. I'd like to pretty them up just cause I can...what would you reccommend? I don't really wanna polish them, but what about a dip in a solution that won't discolor, but would take away the 'dullness' and dirt?

Be assured, I would never try this on ANY of my numismatic coins!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jewel luster is good for dipping. It's something that should be done in very short dips so as to not lose any of the coins luster, if any is left. If you're looking to just clean'em up and toss'em, then that's a good way. IMHO, I've never seen bullion gold that I wouldn't have that's not valuable 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Post some pics of your coins.

You'll be able to get some opinions that way. Many gold coins are being dipped and stripped these days and there are people that appreciate original skin.

Bill Jones has a recent thread that you might want to read, Copper Stains on Gold Coins – A Mostly an Overrated Problem

Post some pics of your coins.
Uh oh...caught red-handed! They're not US coins...but Kruggerands, Mapleleafs and Philharmonics!!! confused-smiley-013.gif
You might want to post some pics in the world coins forum here and/or ATS and get opinions from people that collect those coins.

So you may all cringe when I ask this, but I have some gold bullion coins that really have no numismatic value, but only an instrinsic gold value. I'd like to pretty them up just cause I can...what would you reccommend? I don't really wanna polish them, but what about a dip in a solution that won't discolor, but would take away the 'dullness' and dirt?

Be assured, I would never try this on ANY of my numismatic coins!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

It sounds like the perfect opportunity to experiment. I really don't have any advice to give you, but would be interested in hearing of any results you achieve.