• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I decided to buy a few seated coins...

23 posts in this topic

These are a little bit outside my area of experience and comfort, but they are scarce circulated 19th century branch mint coins, so I thought they would be at home with the rest of the collection. Any comments, good or bad, appreciated.

1871CC_0.5_P45.jpg

1873CC_0.5_P45.jpg

1873CC_0.5_P55.jpg

$9K on up in value if real and not counterfeit. Seems like the CC coins were really faked a lot. I believe I would have a professional look at these before you paid good money for them and if you got them cheap then-go figure.

$9K on up in value if real and not counterfeit. Seems like the CC coins were really faked a lot. I believe I would have a professional look at these before you paid good money for them and if you got them cheap then-go figure.

All three coins were slabbed by PCGS (45, 45, and 55), and I paid strong money for the group.

Excellent coins, RYK!!! Congrats on the NEWPs and thanks for sharing them with us. A few questions---

Are they headed to Mark for photos?

I always had you (perhaps incorrectly) pegged as a southern gold guy. I'm just wondering how do these coins fit into your collection? Are CC seated halves a new interest?

Take care...Mike

Terrific bunch of coins with a very complimentary looks from one to the next. A set like that would be outstanding!

Hoot

These are a little bit outside my area of experience and comfort, but they are scarce circulated 19th century branch mint coins, so I thought they would be at home with the rest of the collection. Any comments, good or bad, appreciated.

1871CC_0.5_P45.jpg

1873CC_0.5_P45.jpg

1873CC_0.5_P55.jpg

I’m envious; they are hard to come by. Congratulations 893applaud-thumb.gif

Excellent coins, RYK!!! Congrats on the NEWPs and thanks for sharing them with us. A few questions---

Are they headed to Mark for photos?

I always had you (perhaps incorrectly) pegged as a southern gold guy. I'm just wondering how do these coins fit into your collection? Are CC seated halves a new interest?

Take care...Mike

No, Mike, I do not plan to have Mark photograph these at this time.

I have been pegged as a southern gold guy, and, quite frankly, I am looking for a new collecting direction. I am planning to do something in the seated area, likely a type set, but when I came across these, I could not help myself.

Thanks for the props, guys.

As I said before these are great coins. I love new areas of coins. It was only 2 years ago I picked up Washington Quarters and those took off well for me. As of now I need 6 more coins for my set, which soon may be down to 3. I need to start work on my 2nd and 3rd sets. My 2nd set will be lower than my first set, but not by much. The main difference will be a few AU coins in the mix for the ket dates. The 3rd set will be an original looking VF 20 set or so. Both should require a bit of looking. That is what makes coin collecting fun! Good luck hunting!!

I think they are all beautiful, and an exceptionally nice group of coins. Congratulations. thumbsup2.gif

Seated coinage can be so beautiful. Especially with those CC mintmarks!

The coins arrived today, and I believe that the photos are very representative of the coin in-hand. I like them all, but my favorite, without a doubt is the 71-CC. The coin has tremendous detail for the grade. The lack of any luster keeps the coin from the AU grade (IMO).

As an aside, I showed the coins to my children (son 8, daughter 5) and asked them which coin they liked best. Both independently chose the 73-CC NA, the AU-55. It had the most luster, and I think that it is this that attracts the uneducated eye most. When I asked for the second choice, both individually and without prompting chose the 71-CC.