• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A gift from my Stepson!

16 posts in this topic

My stepson works offshore on the oil rigs. The past year or so he's been working in saudi arabia. He's a great boy (Young Man), has alot of respect for his mama and me and is just an all around great guy. Well he knows I collect coins and while he was in saudi this last time, he brought me home a gift. I don't know anything about these, but it was a great gift from him. He knew I would never get this around here. I didn't take a real long time on the pics, just a quick flash to post them. Check'em out!!!

coinframe.jpg

50dirhams.jpg

largecopper.jpg

smallcopper.jpg

25dirhams-1.jpg

Nice set and a great stepson! thumbsup2.gif Leave those coins in that frame for years and they'll likely tone superbly.

Hoot

So far I have found out this much from Farthing in world coins:

First coin - 50 Dirhams CuNI - dated 2003/AH1424

Second coin - 10 Dirhams Bronze - dated 1973/AH1393

Third coin - 5 Dirhams Bronze - dated 1978/AH1398

Fourth coin - 25 Dirhams CuNi - dated 2006/AH1427

Both dates are on the reverse of each coin in the above order.

I don't know if the older coins are still in use but the 5 Dirhams were only minted in '73 and '78 while the 10 Dirhams were only minted in '72 and '73. The 25 and 50 Dirhams were still being minted when the set was created.

There was also a 1 Dirham, minted only in '73

Thanks all. At least I now have a little info to share with my son next time he visits and he sees them hanging on my wall. I don't think he knows anything about them either. just they're coins and I collect. 27_laughing.gif

Bobby,

I have some Saudia Arabia and perhaps other closely associated or otherwise neighboring country coins it seems. I began to look into what they were, etc. and did not get very far. Some are Riyals from Sauda Arabia but I never could the dates figured out. If you are interested and want to try to track down the details, and perhaps include them with the coins your stepson gave you, let me know. With me they are just going to remain in the small box they are in now I'm afraid. I am sure we could figure something out. Heck they may be like pesos and not worth much, who knows.

Rey

I appreciate it Rey but they would probably be thrown in a ziplock with the other world coins I have. I have a few he gave me in pocket change from Bahrain, and then I have some that I don't even know what they are. I'm pretty sure that most are just obsolete euro coins. I probably have a total of 50-60 coins from all over but not very old, so I know they ain't worth anything. confused-smiley-013.gif