• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW COOL WASHINGTON DOLLAR ERROR! ??????

15 posts in this topic

I would say for sure it was done after the coin was struck the first time! Could the die have struck it again at the same time it was being ejected???

I have a few of these. They are from the coin counting machine. The feeder mechanism presses into the sides during the stacking operation while counting them. If the coins are not "straight" (or within the tolerance of straight) and the stack was just started, the prongs on the side can dig into the coins. This is a problem with the dollar coins because of the relative softness of the magnesium alloy. It is softer than the cupro-nickel alloy and the zinc cents.

Nothing special, but a nice conversational piece.

Scott hi.gif

i hope my proofs don't have that problem!!!!

bumpit.gif

Proofs supposedly go under a pretty watchfull eye of the US Mint's quality control. I would would rather feel lucky to see one of these in my proof set!!! thumbsup2.gif