• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metal Filing Cabinets for storing coins? Opinions?? NEEDED!!

15 posts in this topic

I was thinking about moving my coins to a metal filing cabinet. I have a small safe that some are stored in, also my nightstand, my closet. Anyway, I would like to be able to put them all in one place. Does anyone have any opinions of a metal filing cabinet. I know silica packets need to be used, I use them now where I have all my coins. I need more room for my coins. Any help and opinions are appreciated. thanks!

Of course a thief would have it open faster then the time it took me to write this, but if your only concern is storage, you should be fine.

John

Of course a thief would have it open faster then the time it took me to write this, but if your only concern is storage, you should be fine.

John

Though some cabinets don't have them, there are ones that lock in several places. You could also put some lead, or weights in the bottom drawer to keep a thief from running away with the cabinet.

Chad,

Yes, I know that there are cabinets that have locks, but the problem is not with if the cabinet has a lock or not. The problem is that the sheet metal that a normal file cabinet is made of is too thin and would never stand up to a crow bar, or a hammer and sturdy screwdriver for that matter.

John

I actually have a very vicious brindle boxer that anyone breaking in, would not have a chance unless they shot her from outside first. 27_laughing.gif Thanks ya'll, yes this will help my storage issues very much!!

metal filing cabinet is good

make sure you use lots of silica gel and keep it in a room that does not get lots of sun or heats up in the summer or gets too cold in the winter

try to put it in a place that maintains a steady temp year around 58-70 f

Sometimes you can get lockable, fireproof filing cabinets from companies that are remodeling or moving fairly cheap. I used to have a legal size cabinet that was rated for 3 hours at 800 degrees. I bought it from an insurance company for $10. The only reason that I got rid of it was because it weighed 250 pounds, and I didn't want to fool with it during a move.

Chris

Sometimes you can get lockable, fireproof filing cabinets from companies that are remodeling or moving fairly cheap. I used to have a legal size cabinet that was rated for 3 hours at 800 degrees. I bought it from an insurance company for $10. The only reason that I got rid of it was because it weighed 250 pounds, and I didn't want to fool with it during a move.

Chris

That's exactlly why I don't want to mess with a large safe Chris, is the moving. I have a shelved filing cabinet that I retired here at my ofc, still like new, so I think this will worf fine. thanks all!

What about keeping coins in the Bank safe deposit boxes???? Do they need silica?

VERY much so. Intercept Shield holders wouldn't be a bad idea either.