• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good News About Dollar Coins!

10 posts in this topic

I went grocery shopping tonight and my first stop was Costco before they closed. I bought a churro at their food court (great churros) and used a dollar coin with a dime to pay. The cashier remarked that they had gotten a lot of the dollar coins recently and that she liked to give them to kids as change (so I needed to make sure next time I gave her a shiny one, she said, since I gave her a scuzzy Sac).

I also saw some in the till at the grocery store that was my next stop.

So at least some people seem to be using them. Now we just need to get the merchants to give them as change. makepoint.gif

i wonder how many stores' cash drawers even have a space for the dollar coins!

seems that if they don't then certainly they would not like to bother with them,but i don't know for certain about this.

confused-smiley-013.gif

They outta just drop them into the same slot as the dollar bills ....at the end of the night when they add up their 'tills' , the 'ones' would all be in the same place.

I get the dollar coins all the time in South Carolina everywhere I go . I guess they aren't circulating everywhere , though , but I know a bunch of waitresses that love to get them ( any dollars for that matter) as tip money . Yes they have to carry around a lot of change and wadded up bills , but most of the ones I talk with either give them to their kids or put them right back into a register when they round up their tip money during their shifts.

I know I try to get a roll of dollar coins every time I go to the bank, and after going through the rolls on my breaks , I spend the remainders rather than rolling them back up and taking them back to the bank . Because I travel over 4700 miles each week anywhere from Philadelphia , PA to Dallas / Ft Worth , TX ,,, I know I'm doing my part to spread these things out there in circulation land .

I had one cashier at a WaWa in Midleton,DE shake me down and got every one I had on me when I stopped there for some coffee . I meet a lot of people that actually want these new Presidential dollar coins , but can't get them from their local banks ....so I spread them out there and try to educate them a little about these new coins too.

It would be interesting to see if these gain any popularity as album fillers like the state quarter series , but I am not sure that enough of them are going to make it into 'actual' circulation to feed the masses like the quarters ( work horse of pocket change) do.

i am looking forward to the john adams dollar

thumbsup2.gif

i want some rolls to pass out and maybe i will get lucky with a blank one with edge lettering cloud9.gif

My wife came home the other day and told me "I bet you went to the store this morning" I asked her how she knew. She told me that she had went to the same store that evening and the owner told her that I must of been there in the morning cause he has some more of those darn washington dollars in his cash register. Im guessing im the only person in my community using them. But everywhere i use them people seem to think they are pretty. I have spent 8 rolls so far as lunch money. Only 10 more rolls to go.

Oh and now instead of only carrying my wallet I also carry a Crown Royal bag filled with my lunch money.

i wonder how many stores' cash drawers even have a space for the dollar coins!

Most cash drawers hav five slots for bills and five for coins.

$1, 25c, 10c, 5c, 1c. Most places use the $1 coin slot to hold rolls

$50, $20, $10, $5, $1. But most businesses put anything larger than a $10 underneath the drawer. You very seldom need to get back a twenty in change and in those cases they can pull them out from under the drawer.

So suggested way to set up the drawer

Rolls, empty or $20, $10, $5, $1 ($50 or both $20 & $50 under drawer.)

$1 coin, 25c, 10c, 5c, 1c

If you get rid of the $1 bill replace the $1 note with a $2 note. If they get rid of the cent you have an empty slot in the coin rack.

If you have a four slot drawer

rolls, $10, $5, $2 ($20 and $50 under the drawer.)

$1 coins, 25c, 10c, 5c (and the take a penny/leave a penny tray)

I've used the dollar coins only a few times with very mixed results. Last week was the first time.

1) When buying lunch I handed them to the owner of the place and he looked at them and said "god I really hate these. they're so heavy and I have no place for them". A co-worker looks over and sees them and looks at me and says "you must have just been to the Post Office. That's the only place that actually uses them". 27_laughing.gif I thought about explaining that these were rare First Day of Issue coins that were deemed below my minimum slabbing grade of MS65, but decided against it for fear of having my food spit in.

2) At a parking structure inside LAX airport the tollbooth woman took them after a few second of looking at them. She seemed "slow" so she may have stared at dollar bills for a few seconds also.

3) Burger King guy took them without hesitation and knew exactly where to put them in the register.

From my limited experience it is between hate and indifference. I actually find using them OK. I've got several rolls in my car and it's easier to unscrew a roll than get my wallet out. However, I'd never want to walk around with them in my pocket.

I took a trip to Atlantic City, NJ with my wife. I used the Dollar coins to tip the Parking Valets and never failed to get a big thank-you from whomever I gave a few to. They actually were much easier to use than a wad of singles for tips.

I have spent several rolls so far and have not had anyone say a thing. Most people do take a second or two and look and them and then in to the till they go. The only comment I have had was from a teenage grocery teller, who only asked if these were the new dollar coin he heard about. I said yes and into the drawer they went. I have used them for tips, to pay for fast food, and in the grocery and other places.