• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Ebay seller has a number of neat coins listed, but...

17 posts in this topic

Not a typical scammer MO. Why list a high sale price? Most scammers start short, but true 1c/NR auctions.
The minimum bid prices of the coins I am familiar with were quite low. For example, I think that the MS68 High Relief had a minimum bid of only $12,500. Still, I agree, the method is different from that of many other scammers.

I hope you reported yer findings cause a couple of people are gonna take a bath
Yes, I contacted Ebay, as well as the owners of the coins I could trace. The current high bidder(s) on the first few items to end will not be bathing (taking a bath). devil.gif

This one has the alarm bells ringing hard enough to break. The individual has never bought or sold anything but sports memorabilia, and all of a sudden has a bunch of high-dollar coins listed? I think an account compromise is unlikely - he still has stuff listed in his usual categories, and the coins have been integrated into his usual template and storefront. Looks to me like someone took a swerve towards the dark side.

If it's a hijack, it's a sophisticated one.

Not a typical scammer MO. Why list a high sale price? Most scammers start short, but true 1c/NR auctions.
The minimum bid prices of the coins I am familiar with were quite low. For example, I think that the MS68 High Relief had a minimum bid of only $12,500. Still, I agree, the method is different from that of many other scammers.

Ah! I only looked at two of the coins and the starting bids didn't seem very out of line. However, that High Relief seems like a bargain. wink.gif

Ah! I only looked at two of the coins and the starting bids didn't seem very out of line. However, that High Relief seems like a bargain. wink.gif

Would you like to go partners with me on it if I win it? gossip.gif

This one has the alarm bells ringing hard enough to break. The individual has never bought or sold anything but sports memorabilia, and all of a sudden has a bunch of high-dollar coins listed? I think an account compromise is unlikely - he still has stuff listed in his usual categories, and the coins have been integrated into his usual template and storefront. Looks to me like someone took a swerve towards the dark side.

If it's a hijack, it's a sophisticated one.

Granted, that would be an unusual situation, though I still suspect a compromised account, rather than a good seller gone bad.

Would you like to go partners with me on it if I win it? gossip.gif

Depends. Will it cross? tonofbricks.gif

Have you seen the pictures they all look Random to me 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Yes - please see my first post regarding other "sources/owners".

the problem is, I've traced a number of them to other sources/owners and it appears that either he's a scammer, or, more likely, the account has been compromised/hijacked:

link to listings of 1standgoalsports

Seems that someone got through.

FRAUD ALERT! STOLD OUR AUCTION! 230113141411 YAHOO 99180028 BUYER BEWARE!

Buyer

ultracoin(870) Apr-09-07 230114400349

FRAUD ALERT steals auctions to try and defraud! CAVEAT EMPTOR! BUYERS BEWARE!

Buyer

ultracoin(870) Apr-09-07 230114392365

FRAUD ALERT! STOLEN AUCTION YAHOO 122213034 CAVEAT EMPTOR! BEWARE!

Buyer

ultracoin(870) Apr-09-07 230114390340

the problem is, I've traced a number of them to other sources/owners and it appears that either he's a scammer, or, more likely, the account has been compromised/hijacked:

link to listings of 1standgoalsports

Seems that someone got through.

FRAUD ALERT! STOLD OUR AUCTION! 230113141411 YAHOO 99180028 BUYER BEWARE!

Buyer

ultracoin(870) Apr-09-07 230114400349

FRAUD ALERT steals auctions to try and defraud! CAVEAT EMPTOR! BUYERS BEWARE!

Buyer

ultracoin(870) Apr-09-07 230114392365

FRAUD ALERT! STOLEN AUCTION YAHOO 122213034 CAVEAT EMPTOR! BEWARE!

Buyer

ultracoin(870) Apr-09-07 230114390340

I had posted the appropriate warnings/information in the "ask seller a question" section of 3 or 4 of the Yahoo listings from which the Ebay scammer apparently got some of his images. There was quite a bidding war for some of the coins here's one result: impressive! confused-smiley-013.gif

Mark or others, first of all, thanks for alerting us out here on that one.

I noticed that some of the holders for the coins in question read "Representative Example" was that placed there by an individual or the TPG? I have not seen or heard of that, what does it mean if anything.

Rey

Mark or others, first of all, thanks for alerting us out here on that one.

I noticed that some of the holders for the coins in question read "Representative Example" was that placed there by an individual or the TPG? I have not seen or heard of that, what does it mean if anything.

Rey

Sorry, Rey, I didn't see/notice those. Can you post a link to one of them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1840-C-LIBERTY-QUART...bayphotohosting

That will take you to the 1913 S St. Gaudens. A few of the coins were in holders that had this on it.

Rey

Thanks Rey. The 1840-C $2.50 link of the Ebay scammer you provided looks it might be a match to this coin on Blanchard's website: see here Either way, the "representative example" might indicate that they have access to more than one such coin? Just a guess.