• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow-up on my Buffalo nickel woes of a few weeks ago

3 posts in this topic

Some of you may remember my post about the Charlotte show a few weeks back. In it, I discussed a 1938-D buffalo nickel that I bought which turned out to have a small corrosion problem which I didn't notice until after I'd left the show. This post isn't to whine more about the coin, which on the whole is still a pretty nice example, albeit a problem coin.

Today, I got a replacement for that coin from the awesome user Cartwheel, across the street. The coin was advertised as a MS64+, which I would tend to agree with. Definitely it's a solid 64, maybe even a 65. There are a few small hits on the obverse that would probably keep it from going 65, but they're not very noticeable. Overall, it's a beautiful coin, and matches the color of my 1913 T1 example. Here are some photos of al three coins. I keep saying I need to upgrade my lens for coin photography, but perhaps my poor photos will communicate these fairly recent acquisitions:

1913 Type 1, MS 64:

005-0029.jpg

1938-D, Corrosion spot on obverse:

1739445-005-0030.jpg

1938-D, MS64+ from Cartwheel

005-0031.jpg

1739445-005-0030.jpg.ce020293563a4be7d0bcd0b1916732af.jpg

That little spot under the the Chief's feathers? That's not that bad...you need to put your 10X on a longer loupe so you can't reach the dang thing or leave it behind like you said you did.

Those are some purty lookin buffies!