• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote for the Hawaii State Quarter Design

25 posts in this topic

You can vote in the advisory poll for the design of the Hawaii State Quarter, the 50th and last State quarter. Follow the link in this press release:

Press Release

There are 5 possible designs, but #4 and #5 look almost identical, so really there are just 4 choices.

Personally, I don't want a map of the main Hawaiian Islands on the quarter, so for me that leaves #1 and #3. But given all the politics about representing all the Islands, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the map-based designs is selected. Again, politics over artistry...

I'm not crazy about any of them. All the designs seem recycled from 1980s Royal Hawaiian Mint medals and perhaps even farther back to the 1970s municipal trade dollars.

It looks like a bunch of rocks are shooting out of the dancer towards the viewer. I chose Diamond Head. Of course the motto should be, "Oh hell, there goes the culture..."

According the CFA minutes from February, the committee preferred #3 without the image of King Kam. They wanted Diamond Head to be the figure on the back. The CFA rejected the Hula Dancer as being too cheesy!

I cannot find the article, but something I read in the Honoluly Star-Bulletin said that the first poll they did was tied between #3 and #4 with Oahu picking #3 and the other islands picking #4. Go figure!! makepoint.gif

I prefer #4. The Diamond Head version is too common.

Scott hi.gif

I voted #1 for two reasons. First, I strongly dislike coins with the outline of the state. Second, I think it would be awesome to have a coin with a surfer on it.

According the CFA minutes from February, the committee preferred #3 without the image of King Kam. They wanted Diamond Head to be the figure on the back. The CFA rejected the Hula Dancer as being too cheesy!

I cannot find the article, but something I read in the Honoluly Star-Bulletin said that the first poll they did was tied between #3 and #4 with Oahu picking #3 and the other islands picking #4. Go figure!! makepoint.gif

I prefer #4. The Diamond Head version is too common.

Scott hi.gif

I like cheese, so I voted for #2. Besides, if you asked most people who Kamehameha was, they probably couldn't tell you. Most everyone can associate a hula dancer with Hawaii. "Hula dancer" was the top answer in one of the questions posed on "Family Feud" and it also got a perfect "6" on "The Match Game". 107 people can't be wrong!

Chris

Of course the motto should be, "Oh hell, there goes the culture..."

Maybe "Death to Mainland Scum, But Leave Your Money" would be more accurate. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course the motto should be, "Oh hell, there goes the culture..."

Maybe "Death to Mainland Scum, But Leave Your Money" would be more accurate. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif I'm not voting for any design without Dog The Bounty Hunter on it.

Interesting. The same post was made across the street but the voting turned out rather different. (I voted for #3.

ATS 1 - 5

0, 2, 12, 4, 2

Here

1, 3, 5, 4, 0

Will it say 25 yen instead of 25 cents?

JJ

Your point being??? confused.gif

My point being that Japanese interests own a large majority of the Islands and it is a very popular Japanese tourist destination. Don't wory, nothing sinister.

My point being that Japanese interests own a large majority of the Islands and it is a very popular Japanese tourist destination. Don't wory, nothing sinister.
A lot of Hawaiians are still upset that many Americans "stole" their land. Perhaps it's the Americans that sold it to the Japanese, both of whom upset native Hawaiians?