• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanna help me grade this Morgan??

26 posts in this topic

I had posted an ebay pic a couple weeks ago with this Morgan. I got it in today. I paid $21.00 (includes s&h). I see alot more die cracks around the edges than waht is actually seen in the pics. Just took a quick photo that maybe you can help me grade it. I may have paid a couple dollars too much. I'm thinking I'm seeing a few hairlines in the pic also. confused-smiley-013.gif

1921DMorgan-1.jpg

Hi there bsshog i am no good at the grading but the mint mark looks very small to me ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It is very small but it is a full D. Don't really know how big they are suppose to be. confused-smiley-013.gif

My guess would be MS63 based upon the hairlines on Liberty's face. I might add or subtract a point, if they look less or more severe, in person.

My guess would be MS63 based upon the hairlines on Liberty's face. I might add or subtract a point, if they look less or more severe, in person.

They are quite less in person Mark. I actually didn't see them until I cropped the pic from 2800pixels, so it's a pretty good zoom-in.

Got a little bit too many vams for this year. This is what die cracks I see:

Rev: From E in united to E in states.D in dollar to O in dollar. First L in dollar to A in dollar. Starting at R in dollar goes thru star all the way to M in america.

Obv: I in pluribus to S in pluribus. From the M in unum, there is 2 that go to the left to the U and the other goes to the rim. To the right of M in unum there is 2 that one goes thru the next 2 stars and one goes to the rim.The one comes from the rim and goes thru the 19 on date, and another from the rim that goes thru the 21 on date. One comes from the rim and goes thru the E & P of e pluribus. And then the last one cracks across the forst 3 stars at the neck of libery. This thing is just full of them.

61 Reverse Gashes in the breast feathers and the heavy rub there detract it for me

Looks scoured to me too aka Cleaned

MS63 VAM 3. These photos just show way too many scratches--sell me your OTT light real cheap and get worse photos. This will improve your coins score! insane.gif

MS63 VAM 3. These photos just show way too many scratches--sell me your OTT light real cheap and get worse photos. This will improve your coins score! insane.gif

27_laughing.gif You so funny!! 27_laughing.gif Thanks Jim!!

61 Reverse Gashes in the breast feathers and the heavy rub there detract it for me

Looks scoured to me too aka Cleaned

The "reverse gashes" appear to be merely normal contact marks made more conspicuous by the large image. The "heavy rub" looks like typical weakness in strike.

I changed up the balance a litle more to show the luster of the coin and to show the die cracks better. Does this help out any?

1921Dmorgandipped.jpg

Yea it's a shame on those little hairlines. I've inspected this thing pretty good and I really can't tell that someone intentionally cleaned this because the hairlines are minor and not all over. Maybe wiped something off, I don't know. I do like all those die cracks tho'. I don't think I've seen one with so many!

In any case, you're getting quite good with your imaging skills. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have to agree your photos are getting much better. I better watch out or soon enough you will pass me up. Would not be a bad thing since I am still an amatuer.

In any case, you're getting quite good with your imaging skills. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have to agree your photos are getting much better. I better watch out or soon enough you will pass me up. Would not be a bad thing since I am still an amatuer.

Actually the quality of your pics is at least the goal I'm trying get to Bruce. You take some very good pics and I'm finding that circulated coins are the hardest to photo. Thanks!!