• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying out my new OTT lite. What ya think?

42 posts in this topic

The only suggestion I would make would be to check your white balance setting. It seems to have a bit of a greeinsh tint.

Isn't the whole supposed benefit to using OTT lights that they put out a "perfect white" spectrum of light? I think it's absolutely ridiculous for people to drop $40 on a light bulb - particularly when they still have to set their white balance anyway. Unless you're using a camera with no white control AND a image editor that doesn't allow you to set white balance from an image, there's no reason to spend so much on bulbs. Just get something cheap that roughly approximates a white spectrum - I use Phillips natural 60W incandescent bulbs - and then set your white balance properly. That'll give you results as good or (usually) better than using an OTT light.

It frustrates me to no end to see so many people on this board and across the street promoting OTT lights like they're the best thing since sliced bread. What they are is just another gimmick. Photographers have been taking excellent photos since long before OTT lights came out. They did so with a proper understanding of exposure, white balance, and basic photography technique.

While I would stop short of saying it frustrates me, I do tend to agree with everything you wrote concerning OTT lights and photography. They are of limited use for those with the ability to color-correct via white-balance.

That said, understand that color correction in post-processing, and, to a lesser extent, in-camera, will introduce color noise and/or lower the dynamic range into your photos. Chances are you will never notice, but if your bulb is not very white (as many incandescent bulbs are) correcting for this imbalance will introduce noise into your photos (particularly in the shadows where the signal to noise ratio is lower) and/or limit the dynamic range of your photos. In this regard, a color corrected light, like the OTT, would be preferable to a more narrow-spectrum bulb like a normal incandsecent or even the afternoon sun.

However, I have found one use for the OTT light where it truly excels -- judging the colors of a coin in-hand. The diffused wide-spectrum light given off by this fluroescent bulb is superb for judging the true colors of a (toned) coin. It is truly unequalled in this regard.

As an aside, I also like to read with the OTT....but I rarely use it for coin photography....Mike

I agree with you Mike. My comments about any close-to-white bulb apply to camera work being done with a camera with a custom white-balance setting, not one of the pre-sets (e.g., "full sunlight", "incandescent", or "fluorescent"). As for the use of the exposure compensator, I would suggest that the best results can be had by setting a camera to fully manual mode and setting exposure and aperature yourself. I realize not everyone has the skill level or a camera body that will allow this method of photography, but if you're learning and you've got the equipment - I say learn it right.

I have found one use for the OTT light where it truly excels -- judging the colors of a coin in-hand. The diffused wide-spectrum light given off by this fluroescent bulb is superb for judging the true colors of a (toned) coin. It is truly unequalled in this regard.

I absolutely agree with this statement 100%. If all you are looking at are un-toned white coins an Ott light will make little difference, but if you really want to bring a toned coin to life you have to view it under an Ott light.

John

I have found one use for the OTT light where it truly excels -- judging the colors of a coin in-hand. The diffused wide-spectrum light given off by this fluroescent bulb is superb for judging the true colors of a (toned) coin. It is truly unequalled in this regard.

I absolutely agree with this statement 100%. If all you are looking at are un-toned white coins an Ott light will make little difference, but if you really want to bring a toned coin to life you have to view it under an Ott light.

John

I also agree with this. This is the best deal unless you use sunlight. Both work about the same.

Isn't the whole supposed benefit to using OTT lights that they put out a "perfect white" spectrum of light? I think it's absolutely ridiculous for people to drop $40 on a light bulb - particularly when they still have to set their white balance anyway.

That is true, but it is a "perfect light" for the human eye. It automatically makes the adjustment. You still have to tell the camera what kind of lighting is being used. Or, like you said, use an image editor to correct white balance and/or use automatic white balance setting. I prefer manually setting white balance and not having to run the risk of over tweaking in Photoshop or whatever editor is being used.

I'm fortunate as my camera lets me do all these settings. I am accustom to them and know how to set it up. I've used other lights and had to set this and set that. I'm not saying that an OTT lite is the answer to creating fantastic images, but I am verifying that I don't have to adjust my camera settings as much as I did before. My first pic in this post was the first pic I took. I had to adjust from the settings I was using with my old lites. I am close now and the difference is, that the settings aren't far from being center of my camera settings. I know this pic isn't as good as some seen but I took this pic about 8" away from my camera and the OTT light was actually the only lite I had on. I'm saying this lite gives off a better light for me. there are a couple small reflections from my camera in the pic, but other than that, I think I got decent lighting and a decent pic for quick shot.

2007SilvereagleProof.jpg

I need to get better lighting for this popcorn.gif

that a nice photo Bobby thumbsup2.gif

scratches on airtite

1739241-Picture076.jpg

Irvin, you might want to check the edge of the coin from time to time. A few years ago, I used the AirTites with the black accent ring for some of my Morgans. I noticed that a couple of them were turning black along the rim. When I removed the coins I found that the entire edge of every coin had turned black. I don't use the black accent rings any more.

Chris

Like the photo, was wondering what kind of camera was used also???

hey Lem, I'm using a Canon S3 IS Digital. Also, for these larger coins, I have some 1x, 2x, & 4x, macro lenses that enable me to just use regular macro on my camera and still have zoom in/out options. I normally use my supermacro, but it gives no zooming option. I took the proof picture above this post in my supermacro mode.

Bobby,

Thanks, believe it or not I just ordered the same camera the other day (haven't received it yet), no attachments either. You guys are making me nervous, there's a lot to taking a good picture of a coin. Love all the information that has been posted, I can’t wait to start trying!!!

confused.gif

Lem

Like the photo, was wondering what kind of camera was used also???

hey Lem, I'm using a Canon S3 IS Digital. Also, for these larger coins, I have some 1x, 2x, & 4x, macro lenses that enable me to just use regular macro on my camera and still have zoom in/out options. I normally use my supermacro, but it gives no zooming option. I took the proof picture above this post in my supermacro mode.

Bobby,

Thanks, believe it or not I just ordered the same camera the other day (haven't received it yet), no attachments either. You guys are making me nervous, there's a lot to taking a good picture of a coin. Love all the information that has been posted, I can’t wait to start trying!!!

confused.gif

Lem

You'll enjoy working with it Lem. It works great! It has all the features for taking fantastic pics. It also takes pretty good video too. I filmed a bunch of hummingbirds flying around for my wife. Neat camera!!