• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Nickels - Show 'Em Off

71 posts in this topic

Nice one skyman. I have to say, I've seen alot of beautiful coins from your collection lately!!! thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gif

Thanks Bobby! It has a lot to do with Bruce imaging 60 of them recently. I normally average purchasing 1 to 2 coins a month (a lot of them quite inexpensive), so you wouldn't normally see me be posting more images than that.

One thing I like about coins are the stories that go along with them. The first toner I ever bought specifically as a toner (in the late '80s, I've still got it, though it's nothing spectacular by my current standards) was a PCGS rattler 1944-D Mercury in MS66FB. At the summer 2005 SF ANA show I saw this nickel. It was graded 1944-D MS66*5FS, so it just seemed a nice companion piece to get for the Merc. Who knows, maybe one of these days there'll be a nicely toned '44-D Walker in MS66 out there to be stumbled upon.

This one was also white when it went into the Dansco in 1987, and this photo was taken a year or two ago. Ironically, the electric blue near the rim below Jefferson's collar seems to have spread further up his coat in the intervening years. Perhaps I'll try to take some current photos.

1947d5cobv.JPG

1947d5crev.JPG

jom uses an airbrush quite masterfully.

It's true! I use it to do my hair in the morning. blush.gif

jom

Well, I might as well bring out my 36-D. I hope I don't get another offer from Shamika again. wink.gif

5c-36d.jpg

jom

jom uses an airbrush quite masterfully.

It's true! I use it to do my hair in the morning. blush.gif

jom

Oh so you found out the secret of the fro .... lol

Jeff,

Here is one that was also white when I put it in a Dansco maybe 16 years ago.

1738756-1953jeffobv.jpg1738758-1953jeffrev.jpg

I never did a thing to this coin before placing it in the album.

John

Here's another buff for JOM

1738754-DSCF1328.jpg

John

FOR me? Great....I'll expect it in the mail by the end of the week. cloud9.gif

jom

Nice evenly toned one Woody thumbsup2.gif

Is it FS? looks like it. popcorn.gif

It's raw, but I have it penciled in FS...there's no doubt (this is an extra 893whatthe.gif)

FS.jpg

As I said in another thread, I am new to all this. So please don't fall off your chairs laughing when I ask... takeit.gif

Are toned coins worth more or less?

And the thing I hate to ask even more, but I don't know the answer, so I will...

Are you doing something to those coins to make those tones?

(They are beautiful at the very least.)

I am guessing "naturally toned" coins are more valuable and tones that people have done are... less?? tongue.gif

Thanks for helping to educate me! yay.gif

There are people who like toned coins and there are others that don’t. Some people who do like toned cons will pay a premium for a nicely toned coin. Usually, the nicer the color the more of a premium the coin can fetch as more collectors compete to own it.

It is also true that collectors will value a coin that is naturally toned, or at least has the appearance of one that is, higher then one that is obviously or appears to be artificially toned.

John

You’re welcome Ken.

Yes, toning is a form of oxidation. Silver is a highly reactive metal and as such it tends to tone rather easily. The purer the silver the more this is so. Your silver eagles are made from almost pure silver and can tone much quicker then a silver dime or quarter would under the same conditions.

Nickel as a metal does not tone as easily as silver does, but ‘nickels’ are actually mostly an alloy of copper, another highly reactive metal. This is why some nickels tone as pretty as they do, but overall it is much harder to find really nicely toned nickel coinage then silver.

Not all coins tone in beautiful colors, in fact most don’t. The vast majority of coins that tone do so in a way that actually takes away from their eye appeal in my opinion. This is why the really nicely toned coins sell for so much, because they are rare compared to the way most coins tone.

John