• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Ike's

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I really like those Ike's and I have quit a few in Ngc and pcgs holders.

the more I get , the more I'm getting confused.

I'll post here 1 exmpale, its graded by PCGS MS-65

You can see it have this Blueish Haze and kinda beaten up look.

(he look kinda bolding too :-)

It look to me no better then a circulated 1 or maybe it got dipped and turn bad in the holder ???

Well Im clueless and thought maybe you guys can aducate me more about it ?

cloud9.gif

232341-1029.jpg.049713f6e6f16678155b56ec56be261b.jpg

Clad Ike planchets are IMO the roughest and lowest quality the mint has ever used, and the 76 coins (particularly the type I P) are typically poor strikes with mottled or cloudy surfaces. The D mint coins are generally nicer, and the silver coins are very nice. The 76-P T1 is usually market graded IMO. A bright coin with smooth surfaces that doesn't look baggy is the exception rather than the rule, and one of the keys to the series. By the way, don't ever look at one with a loupe or you'll never find one you like.:D

Finding these with attractive, lusterous, with NO haze or strong distractions in the focal areas is a real treat- especially the Clad issues in Mint State.

Add colorful toning and the Ike dollar is downright pretty.

Ikes were LARGE copper/nickel clad coins. Meaning, they were a hard metal with a large surface making it difficult to strike out the planchet flaws. Most are crappy looking.

1971-P, 1972-P and 1976-P (1) are the most difficult to find at or near GEM grade. I didn't learn this from pop reports, I learned this from looking at many raw Ikes in coin stores and shows for about a year. You get a real good idea of what dates are hard to find looking at the same [!@#%^&^] over and over again.

It gets really tiring to look at badly made coins over and over. Especially, with a hidious design like the Ike. It is definately a coin design that needs make-up to look good (ie toning). laugh.gif

jom

well that's great to know, because I was preety sure this was slabed in error as MS-65

I know many people think Ik's is an ugly coin, but what can I say... I Worship simplicity ! Is like I'll take the girl next door over any hot model, any day any time :-).

maybe you can answer me this too....

This is an NGC PR-69 Sil UCAMEO (attachment)

It have this haze and dosn't have any mirror like field anymore.

I have the same coin as Blast white as well , and somone told me is just dipped.

I wonder if you have experiance with dipping and think this one can restore its mirror surface by dipping it ??? (I was trying to dip some other coins while ago, and boy oh boy I was regrating it....) :-/

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

232522-1033.jpg.6cf98fe15c337a78ec520d9a85bde1cb.jpg

If this coin is already in an NGC holder and is hazed to thepoint you can't see the mirrors or cameo, then it's likely that the coin was either improperly stored before slabbing and has subsequently suffered the consequences, or it was dipped immediately before grading and the residue was not completely removed. I suppose it's also possible that your sttorage methods are not the best, especially if you live where it's warm and moist. If this is the case, you may need to consider revising your storage methods, as all your coins, slabbed and not slabbed, will turn over time.

If the coin means a lot to you, you can have it conserved at NSC (see the forum) for around 15 bucks, then regraded for another 10 bucks on the modern tier. I believe that you can submit a single coin for this service, no matter the tier, but you might contact them first to see if that's correct. You also need to learn if you qualify to submit to NCS and/or how you can make that happen. If you are a collector society member, then you can submit directly.

Hoot

well the coin is importent to me like any other coin,

but considering I Paid for it about $25 if i remember right,

I dont think is worth going through the troublle of regrading and all that.

how this happen Im not sure as I bought it as it is now.

but I just wonder if dipping it will reverse its condition to blast white with mirror field while keeping the same grade, maybe in just air tite ring,

Or most likely just keep it as is with the knoledge that I can dip, and whiten it anytime I want to.(or not) :-/.

Probably best to keep it as is until you wish to get rid of it, send it for conservation, or have become rather expert at dipping Ikes. Ikes are notoriously difficult to dip without hazing the coin or removing the lustre. I truly would not play with the coin, myself. But it is likely that the coin is still in good shape below the haze. BTW, NCS has a grade guarantee ($5 extra)for coins already in holders. Check out their policies.

Hoot

It gets really tiring to look at badly made coins over and over. Especially, with a hidious design like the Ike. It is definately a coin design that needs make-up to look good (ie toning). laugh.gif

Did someone say toning on an Ike?

1972sIke.jpg

1972 s NGC PF67 Cameo Rainbow Ike Dollar N/R

Currently listed on eBay by greattoning (who I don't think is a forum member here, but he is across the street).

well, this is what I found on NCS.

ike.jpg

So I guess After all the original Ucameo can be restore.

and thats makes me happy cause I have lots of those.

in fact I like them them more now... (other then the fact that they wont get the same price as a cleaned 1)

what I dont get is, and that is just MY asumption....

in order for the haze to apear the coin have to have somkinda reaction with oxygen or whatever.

so when you remove it .... you must take somthing from it, even though its just dipping.

so if my asumption is right....

how come the coin wont lose a grade ? or it will ?

well, as the old saying... with every good there's bad....

All the blast white coins I have feel so artifitial to me now confused.gif