• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 Silver Proof Set - Residue

3 posts in this topic

I have a 1999 Silver Proof set in the original Mint box. Around the edges of the 10 cent, 50 cent and some of the quarters I see what I call "powder" or white discolloration. What has happened? Can these coins be sent to NCS for cleaning??

It sounds as though you may be seeing some of the effects of coins stored in original mint packaging. Original mint packaging is not the best for long-term storage. The holders are not air-tight and can allow residues to form from the outside air and sometimes the materials used in the packaging itself.

Without seeing your coins, I would say that likely your coins could be helped through professional conservation. With a 1999 set, more than likely the residues have not caused any staining that would be irreversible. We would have to see your coins to be certain.

Chris, NCS

This is some sort of hazing that is happening. I have some also. I have attempted dipping on some other coins that have this same problem to no avail. It's been set for awhile considering what you could'nt see to what you are being able to see now. You could post a pic to NCS, but most of the time they will request that you submit to be able to try to remove it. This is just my experience and yours may have different issues.