• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a humble copper thread?? POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

43 posts in this topic

EAC is in a couple of weeks or so. Who else is going? Here's a few of the more humble coins that I've recently upgraded from (sorry, these are not available for purchase):

b180308.jpg

b180309.jpg

b180508.jpg

b181908.jpg

b182708.jpg

b183808.jpg

b183809.jpg

Great post, James. Some wonderful coppers. EAC this year should be one of the best - a memorable experience and great fun for all those attending. We are down the aisle from you at the opposite end of the halll on the wall. See you there with some "humble copper". thumbsup2.gif

Here's a nice and humble S-272. The 1807/6 Overdate

IMGP0347.jpg

IMGP0348.jpg

Humility is in the eye of the beholder? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm a big fan of humble copper... smile.gif

1788 Massachusettes cent F15 details, F12 net, A:

1734951-1788Mass1cF15detF12net06-186.JPG

1803 S-257 cent AG03 details, FR02 net, A ex. childhood:

1734965-1803S-2571cAG03Aex.childhood.JPG

1819 N-8 AG03 details, FR02 net, S:

1734954-1819N-8AG03detFR02netS05-182.JPG

1826 N-6 PO01 det/net, A+ to C:

1734970-1826N-61cPO01A%2B05-135.1.JPG

1839 N-8 G06 details, G05 net, A ex. James Garcia:

1734976-1839N-81cG6detG5netA07-005.JPG

Hoot

Here's the last piece I own that went to body bag city. I figured you guys were tired of my body bagged copper tirades so I had not bothered to post this one. I HOPE that this will be my LAST expensive body bagged copper coin. Getting the bag makes "meaty" pieces like this one humble. So far as the registry is concerned, this thing is not worth a plug nickel. confused.gif

1814CentO.jpg1814CentR.jpg

Very nice die crack around obverse or what looks to me like one Rey 893whatthe.gif Great coin thumbsup2.gif

This is what is known as a randall hoard cent. That is a die crack!

This is what is known as a randall hoard cent. That is a die crack!

Bruce,

Can you educate me some on the randall hoard cent reference etc. Unfamiliar territory for me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks,

Rey

What was the reason for the BB, Bill? Sure looks good to me.

Rey, that Randall Hoard cent is dynamite.

Super coppers. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Rey the story goes like this.. in about 1850 The found a full barrel full of large cents. This was how the mint used to ship them. Anyhow nearly all if not all had those die cracks yours shows. This is what is now known as the Randall Hoard. I assume the guy who found the barrel was named Randall.

Thank you Bruce, I just went and looked it up as well, I guess I was a little laxed in not really researching this coin both before and after I had it evaluated. It came back as an N-10 which I see is one of the better ones. I should not have let the fact that had it had been identified as being cleaned prevent me from truly studying everything about the coin.

Learned a valuable lesson here today, thanks folks for the communications and information.

thumbsup2.gifRey

So far as the registry is concerned, this thing is not worth a plug nickel.

Why a person should never collect *for* the registry, rather that the registry should only reflect *what* a person has collected. As far as collecting is concerned, the registry isn't worth a damn thing. As far as information is concerned, the registry is interesting (sometimes quite interesting), and nothing more.

Hoot

Here's a token for the Chesapeake & Delaware canal, minted during it's construction. It's slightly smaller than a half cent, uniface as made, and quite thin (it only weighs as much as a pre-1982 Lincoln).

cd_canal1.jpg

That is a cool token. Is there any thing on the reverse? It's hard to tell in the picture.

Double D, is that 1818 another Randall Hoard cent? Great coins. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That is a cool token. Is there any thing on the reverse? It's hard to tell in the picture.

Double D, is that 1818 another Randall Hoard cent? Great coins. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That is another Randall Hoard Cent!

Some real nice looking coppers here...lots of history.

JRocco, is that a Vatican coin or Roman/Italian?

The person on the design does not look like he's a happy camper. (Pope?)

Some real nice looking coppers here...lots of history.

JRocco, is that a Vatican coin or Roman/Italian?

The person on the design does not look like he's a happy camper. (Pope?)

Hey WJ.

This is a Vatican Papal States medal minted in 1625, called the "Anno Santo/Holy Year" Issue.

The obverse is Pope Gregory X111 and the reverse shows the opened "holy door" which is opened only 1 year of every 25 years.

This one is copper and is an extremely high grade example of this issue. It is both overstruck and re-cut. I love this medal.

popegregdbpan.jpg