• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Developing a Web Site

20 posts in this topic

A lot of folks out here have their own individual web sites that contain information and pics of their coins. Are there any suggestions as to which sites or resources I could go to in order to develop one of my own. I tried to search the posts for this subject but was unable to find anything. If there is a post that you know about, please let me know as well.

Thanks,

Rey

Rey, hi.gif

Hope you don’t mind me posting a web related question here.

I have built several commercial web sites using a host site and registered domain URL. I had no trouble with except for the usual trial and error.

However as I built an album on the Flickr site which was free I noticed I was getting a lot of spy ware. I liked the Flickr site but just got tired of having to get the spies off my computer. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to go to a paid account?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rey, don't know if you want to or not ,I built mine on Heritage.com website using their

"my collection" venue. It's had a learning curve for me on posting some of my pictures,but trial and error does work. Site seems secure. Also has current values and past auction prices. BTW i don't work for Heritage and am not affiliated with them.

Just a thought shy.gif

I registered my site on Network Solutions and built it from choosing among the scores of blank templates that they provide. I then used their simple modular approach to inserting text, headers, graphics and images. I am not a computer geek, but the site took me about one weekend to put together.

I also do web design and it all depends on how in depth you want to get. You can go for something as easy as like a photo bucket album or to a more advanced HTML approach. If you are not a comp geek, I suggest you make a photo album using one of the many places that will allow it.

Thanks everyone for the leads on this. I put a web site together 6-7 years ago when I was self employed as an environmental consultant. I used Front Page at that time, but figured that now there must be much easier and faster options available out there. I will begin checking these out this weekend.

Rey

Well... if you want to do something different, there's always writting a blog by using something like Google's Blogger service. My blog is hosted on Blogger. You can add pictures to your blog.

You can also buy a Mac (recommended), use iWeb (not bad), and publish your creation either to .Mac or another service. If your service provider gives you web space as part of their service (I have some with Comcast I make limited use of), then you can upload your pages there.

Otherwise, I write my own XHTML/CSS code. You can see my latest work by checking out the website of Montgomery County Coin Club, which is all my design and implemention. It isn't the prettiest site on the net, but it is functional!

BTW: For those keep score, the pages are edited using TextWrangler under MacOS X. Images are edited/created with Photoshop Elements 4. And I use Transmit as the FTP client to synchronize the pages from my machine to the server. All run from my 17-inch PowerBook G4.

Scott hi.gif

On another note, does anyone out there use Microsoft Photo Editor to crop and manage their coin images. If so are you able to or how are you able to isolate only the coin area and eliminate the borders around it.

have'nt used this program rey, but if you have a a circular cropping tool(equaliptical??) you can crop these as a Fixed Ratio and enter the the pixels shown in the image size properties. I think I said this right.

I haven’t used that program but I can tell you that you are looking for a circular cropping tool. It should look like a circle made with dashed lines.

Okay, I have never heard of a circular cropping tool and I've been doing graphics since PhotoShop 2.5. I think you're looking for a circular selection tool, select the coin, invert the selection, and delete everything else. Images are rectangular by nature ... they can't be created on a circular canvas. You can have transparency such that all you see is a circle and the rest of the rectangle is transparent, but you can't make a circular image.

Cropping reduces the size of the canvas while selection and masking can create circular areas on an existing and unchanging canvas.

I understand what you are writing and that they are not the same thing, but I think most folks on the boards use the terms interchangably, which was the point I was trying to make in my post.

Thanks to all for the tips. I have been able to locate a circular selection tool in one of our programs that appears to do the trick.

Rey