• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

By slabbing, are we hurting a coin's future value?

20 posts in this topic

Classic coins are worth what they are because of condition and rarity. They didn't survive in grate numbers, or they circulated heavily. By slabbing coins now, are we hurting future value? Sure, we're preserving collectibility, and the coins themselves, but could it hurt? Take modern coins for instance. In 1936, you could get a proof set for about $2-3. Now, it's a $10,000 set. Why? Well, ignore the mintage. They weren't preserved! Now, a 2006 proof set is what, $25? If we slab these coins as soon as we get them, does it hurt future generations whose grandparents collections were built on slabbed material, and modern sets?

Discuss, add to, debate, share your thoughts.

For comparison, just look at Morgans and Saints. Many people like collecting these coins precisely because there are many high grade survivors. So, my answer is not necessarily.

It's hard to compare the 36' set as it was the "First" set. I'm sure this is 3/4 of the value. I think some coins may lose values in future years due to preserving, but I don't think that it will affect it that much. There are still those sincere and long time collectors that are able to conserve thier own coins without slabs. Knowledge of coin care is preservation. Not a slab. There may be more marketable coins in the future, due to slabbing as soon as you purchase modern coinage, but there will always be those collectors looking for raw coins in good condition. I would like to give more on my opinion of this but I have to get back to work.

I think you are right when it comes to modern issues from the US mint. Just think how much the 2006-W 3 piece gold set will be worth in the future that is left in the original case with the original packaging.

It's hard to compare the 36' set as it was the "First" set. I'm sure this is 3/4 of the value. I think some coins may lose values in future years due to preserving, but I don't think that it will affect it that much. There are still those sincere and long time collectors that are able to conserve thier own coins without slabs. Knowledge of coin care is preservation. Not a slab. There may be more marketable coins in the future, due to slabbing as soon as you purchase modern coinage, but there will always be those collectors looking for raw coins in good condition. I would like to give more on my opinion of this but I have to get back to work.

1937 set, 1938... 1950 even. Look at their original prices compared to now. If NGC had been around then, would they be worth nearly as much?

One thing to consider, slabbing wasn't availabe in 1936 as it is now. This will just become a thing the market builds around and goes on its way. Who knows-in 50 years the considerable # of slabbed coins may drive the price up of medium grade coins because they will be the collectibles. Proof and uncirculated sets from older dates are still a premium in the original sealed packages so I don't think it will have a devastating effect but maybe some effect.

I doubt slabbing itself hurts because many coins are already being preserved in other ways.

(a) For Mint collectibles, a lot of collectors keep them in OGP many of which are like AirTites now. Unless OGP is discovered to ruin coins, many modern collectibles will be preserved even unslabbed.

(b) For business strikes, it's hard enough getting them in high grades as it is.

A better question would be to address preservation in any way, OGP, AirTites, Saf-T-Flips, Dansco albums, etc.

One way to phrase this question is "do collectors harm a future collectible's future value"? This can even be applied to rare classics because if they were not protected today, presumably there would be even fewer preserved versions a generation from now.

One example may be Conder Tok... Conder Coins. These were collected and preserved when they were released in the late 18th century and many are in much better shape than US coppers of the same period. Have values for top specimens been hurt by the preservation?

I think it all depends upon what future generations want to collect. Personally, I like raw coins and original mint packaging. I see no point in slabbing my mint sets. The only thing I could POSSIBLY lose if I were to slab it later would be the "First Issue" or "[special set]" gimmic, which isn't important to ME. And that's what I care about. I don't want a proof 1990 PF-69 cent, nickel, dime, quarter, and half dollar in slabs. I want the Mint package. That, to me, is a proof set.

I want the Mint package. That, to me, is a proof set.

That is exactlly what my mint and proof sets stand for also. Originality!!! That's what makes a valuable and collectible coin!!!

One example may be Conder Tok... Conder Coins. These were collected and preserved when they were released in the late 18th century and many are in much better shape than US coppers of the same period. Have values for top specimens been hurt by the preservation?

Yes they have. If it wasn't for that widespread collecting those coins would be worth a LOT more today than they are.

Look at it this way. Forget about the proofs because most of those were sold to collectors and most of them still exist today.

But suppose slabbing had been around in 1932. How much would a MS-64 or 65 1932 D or S quarter be worth today if several thousand of them had ben slbbed in MS? Would you say that it would have hurt the value of those coins compared to what they are today?

Since preservation of Conders for centuries before slabs have hurt Conder values, I think my view that collectors hurt a collectible's future value stands. To increase future value, everyone stop collecting and preserving wink.gif

Since preservation of Conders for centuries before slabs have hurt Conder values, I think my view that collectors hurt a collectible's future value stands. To increase future value, everyone stop collecting and preserving wink.gif

That's not my point.

My point was that MODERN coins are slabbed almost as soon as they leave the Mint. There's no chance for them to get used, get lost, or get harmed in any way. THESE are the coins that will not be good investments as I see it, because they are widgets, and all too common.

I do believe that rare coins, classic coins, etc. should be slabbed in some cases for preservation. If there's 150 of a particular coin minted, some man has 5 and dies, and his family spends them (or what have you) then there's 145 out there if EVERY SINGLE OTHER coin survived. But these coins where 1,000,000,000 are made, and 500,000,000 are slabbed, they're basically worthless!

That's not my point.
Maybe your inquiry is too narrow.
My point was that MODERN coins are slabbed almost as soon as they leave the Mint. There's no chance for them to get used, get lost, or get harmed in any way. THESE are the coins that will not be good investments as I see it, because they are widgets, and all too common.
Umm, some MS Walkers, Morgans and Saints are also considered widgets by some because they are very abundant in high grades. These come in low to high MS grades but are still MS and still considered widgets by some. The investment argument also applies to these coins.
I do believe that rare coins, classic coins, etc. should be slabbed in some cases for preservation. If there's 150 of a particular coin minted, some man has 5 and dies, and his family spends them (or what have you) then there's 145 out there if EVERY SINGLE OTHER coin survived. But these coins where 1,000,000,000 are made, and 500,000,000 are slabbed, they're basically worthless!
I hear you! Some Walkers, Morgans and Saints certainly seem to qualify.

Slabbing will hurt future values of some high grade moderns but your question is too narrowly focused on moderns and slabs. You should address all kinds of coins and preservation whether it is collectors in the 18th century, Mint bags in the 19th century, OGP in the 20th century or slabs in the 21st century. Anything that is preserved in large quantities will not be viewed as "rare" and will be priced accordingly. Slabs are just one incarnation of preservation and moderns are just what's being preserved "now" but it has been happening for a long time before slabbing of moderns.

I think that slabbing coins will not hurt a coins future value. If anything I believe it will increase the value of coins in the future. My thought on certified coins is that they increase the amount of coin collectors. Some people would never have gotten into the coin hobby if slabbed coins did not exist. So Because of slabbed coins more coin collectors exist today and will exist in the future, therefore the demand will be higher for coins which equals more $$$.

That is a thought provoking thought, Chad, but I don't think that it is a fair comparison.

Classic coinage is from a period that once was and will be no more. It was but a point in time in our evolution as a nation. Now, with industrialization, population growth and a debased/fiat money system, we're comparing apples with oranges. There are literally billions of coins churned out a year at the mints. Since there are no rarities in US regular issue coinage, varieties and top pop grades have filled the void collectors have. All collectors desire that which is scarce and more valuable. Hence, the modern niche has formed.

So, yes Chad, your premise is correct. There will be very high graded material for future generations but, on the flip side, many classic coins will have been preserved for them as well.

Also, as I mentioned, modern business issue coins are mass produced which means that they would have been mass hoarded, too. There are lots of hoarders whether out of compulsion, passion or investment, they're there. Since these hoards would have been stored together then their conditions would have been preserved like the silver dollar hoards of the mint. So, the future still would have had plenty of mint state coins to choose seaech through. However, clad coinage of the '70's can be scarce in high grades. This is because there were no TPGS's then and no ebayers cherry picking the best for submission. This tells me that TPGS's are largely responsible for preserving many of the high grade business strikes. Proofs and special mint issues are exceptions to this.

Who knows-in 50 years the considerable # of slabbed coins may drive the price up of medium grade coins because they will be the collectibles.

Entropy: things go from best to worse over time. It can not be reversed.

So, if in the future, medium grade coins were the rage then you'd have the George Jettsons of the future carring a lot of loose change around in their pockets to wear those suckers down for a quick buck. But, once worn, you can never get back what was lost. To think about it, that's basically all that coin doctoring strives to do: to turn back the clock.

Okay, my impression was that by "coin's value" you meant "coin's value" and not "coins' value." In other words, I thought you were talking about an individual coin, not all coins of a certain date and mint. So, my statements above that a "coin's value" getting hurt depends upon what future folks want still stands.

My stance on "coins' value" being hurt by slabbing is mostly in agreement with what other folks are saying, but with a slight twist: I just don't think that modern coins where half a billion are slabbed will increase in value in the first place due to all the "pristine" examples. And, since they won't increase in value, then they won't decrease in value, so their values won't be "hurt" in that sense.

But compared to a coin 100 years ago that wasn't slabbed, I think that folks will not be paying nearly as high a premium in 100 years for today's coins as we pay today for coins made 100 years ago. So in that relative sense, yes, I think the value is hurt.