• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879S Morgan and 1883 nocents grade help

20 posts in this topic

If you could please help me with the grades on these two coins I would appreciate it. These photos are the best I can do with my camera(probably not the camera's fault as I am no Bruce). The 1883 V nickel is the most gorgeous nickel I have owned-toned so beautifully I wish the photo would show that but it doesn't. Bruce would you photo it for me?

Thank you

Jim 1879sobvrev.jpg

1883nocentsobvrev.jpg

Jim your 79 s is a beauty and i think it would make 65 easy, maybe a 66, if she's got eye appeal original mint luster. jmho

i think your 1883 liberty nickle has some issues on reverse looks like weak strike or worn die. I guessing i might make a 63. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting them 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree with Mike's assessment.

Sorry Shadow

Do I have to change my ID name?? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I see very few contacts in the fields by looking at this picture and the details seem to be very nice to me. I'm most certainly not a master of these, do tell by looking at mine, but I thought this looked better. What would make you think this would only go 64? confused-smiley-013.gif the more knowledge of these Morgans the better for me. I plan on buying more when I can.

Chads a little tough - The front is MS64 3/4

MORE noticable CHAD is the Reverse Eagle BELOW is what I consider a MS65

Eagle - (PCGS does too smile.gif )

1732985-feathering.jpg

Look at yours More so the Right Wing ...

1732985-feathering.jpg.f6f0757ae44a19c8583f2b9e371d9a4a.jpg

I say 65 with a shot at 66. The prime focal areas are too clean and the blemishes that Chad pointed out are rather minor. Nice looking '79-S!

Chris

The grade on that Morgan will depend on what it looks like in hand - lighting and camera angle can hide or enhance marks - I don't believe you can accuarately assess that coin from the image displayed here - anywhere from MS63 if the blemishes are really prominent but hidden by the photo, to MS66 if minimal and not distracting -

Can't say on the, Nickel, but I think the softly struck reverseis grade limiting - can't tell if there is rub and hence AU, or full luster and therefore Unc - from the image I'd grade it AU63 - a coin with slight friction that looks better than many low grade Uncs. (my own grading system! - clearly not recognized by the TPGSs)

I say 65 with a shot at 66. The prime focal areas are too clean and the blemishes that Chad pointed out are rather minor. Nice looking '79-S!

Chris

You must think that 1897 You bought from me is a GOLD mine MS68 aye ...

Just raggin on yeah buddy

Chris

Gold mine? Are you kidding? I figured I'd end up with a lot of lead for fishing weights. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

Chris

Gold mine? Are you kidding? I figured I'd end up with a lot of lead for fishing weights. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

laugh.gif

This is a 65 smile.gif - It sis actually in my mind a 66 except for the mark on the left wing (blargh)

4 sale by the way smile.gif

1733372-1897pcgs.jpg

Chads a little tough - The front is MS64 3/4

MORE noticable CHAD is the Reverse Eagle BELOW is what I consider a MS65

Eagle - (PCGS does too smile.gif )

1732985-feathering.jpg

Look at yours More so the Right Wing ...

I think that is a function of the lighting and inadequate photograph. I think that the angle of the camera and light do not allow you to see the detail in the wing, but judging from the rest of the coin it is probably there.