• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Error - Shifted Lettering

4 posts in this topic

Will NGC certify a Washington Dollar coin with Shifted lettering on the rim? . i.e. after the word TRUST, either one or two spaces are added on error coins vs a normal coin.

There was atopic on this a couple days ago. here is a copy of something I had pulled out of the "Coin" magazine.

As stated in the May issue of "Coins".

According to the mint, ther positioning of the edge lettering and it's relationship to the obverse of the coin will be fixed on proof examples. Due to the use of the three part collar that encloses the proof planchets during during striking and impresses the edge design, the edge letting will begin at the same point relative to the obverse and reverse designs. Also, with the proofs, the top of the letters and numerals in the edge lettering will always read correctly when the presidential "Heads" side is up.

For the circulation strikes, the edge lettering is rolled into the edge after striking the face designs, so tops of letters could be orientated toward either side of the coin. Also, the position of the lettering in relation to the obverse and reverse designs will vary.

Welcome to the forum Ivars hi.gif

Thank you... I'm a new coin collector and started my collection with Gold and Silver eagles. Then the dollar coin came out with the smooth error and I found 29 of them here in Florida from the 5000 I searched. Yes I searched 5000 and from these I also found 6 with the extra spaces after the word TRUST. I do not know if I should sell these or keep them. I hope NGC reads this so they can respond to the issue of certification of shifted letters. Your text from COINS pertains to only the position, i.e. upside down or right side up. I hope to see info on shifted or added spaces in the rim lettering.

Also, the position of the lettering in relation to the obverse and reverse designs will vary.

I think the last line of this article would pertain to what you are talking about.