• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My trip to the Milwaukee coin show

18 posts in this topic

After selling a 1906-D half eagle that I just recently had graded, (it came back in a MS63 holder much to my surprise) I was off to an annual spring show here in Milwaukee looking to spend my newly gained profits like a drunken sailor on leave. There aren’t too many coin shows each year around even with traveling down to Chicago, so I try to get to this show every spring.

The show ran from Thursday evening through Saturday last weekend, I took a half day off on Friday afternoon, paid my dollar at the door and was on the bourse floor by noon. I’ve found in the past that later in the day the hoards will be flowing in after work and Saturday is always busy day with most of the goodies snatched up or in a new dealer’s case at a slightly higher price. As I expected the amount of people was fairly light, I was able to go from table to table with ease.

The only coin that I wanted to find was a low-relief Peace Dollar in MS65 with just a slight bite of toning like my 1921 Peace Dollar, this is one coin I didn’t want to try to buy online, I really needed to see one in hand to decide. But other then that I was looking any coin that I could use in my type set that wasn’t more than what cash I had on me, (well maybe I’d go over budget for a killer coin that I just had to have).

I always take a look at most of the tables on my first trip around the bourse floor, even though this is Wisconsin’s largest show it’s not that big, I’m able to make to all of the tables with slabbed coins in about two hours with stopping to chat with several dealers along the way. Now it’s time to go back to the tables that I made notes about to get a better look at what caught my eye earlier and ask for prices.

Well there were many Peace dollars to choose from in MS65 holders, I thought this one looked nice next to my 1921 dollar which I had with me. When the dealer told me $140 which is grey sheet bid is all he wanted I snapped it up quickly, the other price I was quoted a few tables over was $160 for MS65 coins.

1923-Dolar.jpg

I’d didn’t see many coins at all that would work in my type set that I could afford, but I did see this little dime my first time around and headed right back to that dealer to take a closer look. Nice coin I thought to myself as I grazed through my magnifier finding only a couple of nicks on the obverse and light wear on the high spots, nice, very nice. Before I walked up to the table I stopped to check on circulated Bust Dimes prices listed at in the grey sheet, an AU50 had a bid of $300 and MS60 was listed at $600, so I figured $450 would be a good price for an AU55. But what would the dealer want for it? I asked, he said $425, I said I’ll take. thumbsup2.gif

1834-dime.jpg

So I came away with two nice coins for the old set cloud9.gif and some cash, 893whatthe.gif met a couple of new dealers and had fun catching up with others making the day was a total success. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the info abou the Summer ANA show being in Milwaukee. I might be up there that week and might just extend my stay to visit the show. yay.gif

Thanks for the replies; I enjoy reading other people’s show adventures so I thought I’d give it go. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The only downer about posting is my typing sucks and is painfully slow. foreheadslap.gif

Thanks for the info abou the Summer ANA show being in Milwaukee. I might be up there that week and might just extend my stay to visit the show. yay.gif

I’ve been waiting a long time for the ANA to return to Milwaukee, I think it was in the 80’s the last time they held a convention here. Anyway I’m looking forward to this year’s convention and hope to be able to meet up with some people from the boards. thumbsup2.gif

Here’s a link to the ANA’s site about this show.

ANA wold of money, Milwaukee this August

Since I am new to this hobby, can you please tell me how you made such good pictures. I'm in the market for a new camera and need to get the correct one for Coin pictures.

Since I am new to this hobby, can you please tell me how you made such good pictures. I'm in the market for a new camera and need to get the correct one for Coin pictures.

Lots of practice and hard work. if you want the best pictures get a Digital SLR.

Paul,

Thank you for the info! It is always nice to get to "go to a show" through someone else's eyes.

Those are two good looking coins. thumbsup2.gif Nice pickups!

Lots of practice and hard work. if you want the best pictures get a Digital SLR.

Oh yeah Bruce, you summed it right up. headbang.gif

That’s all it takes wink.gif especially the "lots" part...

As to my set-up, I’m using Pentax *ist DL with a 100mm macro lens for my coin photos. cloud9.gif

Paul,

Thank you for the info! It is always nice to get to "go to a show" through someone else's eyes.

Those are two good looking coins. Nice pickups!

Hey Sy, that goes both ways; I enjoyed reading your Fremont show adventure. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

BTW, have you decided if you’re keeping the 1921 Peace dollar? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice pick ups, Paul! thumbsup2.gif

So now, we are cat and mouse on the registry. 893whatthe.gif I passed you by a couple of hundred of points for the first time last week. But, curses, these new purchases put you on top again. But, not to be out done, ol' Vic picked up his most awesome 1879 half.

acclaim.gif

But, after this month, I'm going in for an extended pit stop with vacation time sooo.... I'll be playing catch up again once I'm back in the race.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

hi.gif

Both coins are nice, but I'm, especially partial to the dime...

Me too. thumbsup2.gif

You better watch out Victor! 893whatthe.gif I'm working on gathering lots of cash for the ANA show in August. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif And I won't be afraid to use it. insane.gif

Also I'm planning on sending this 1839-O dime in, it looks real nice with my Bust dime and half. cloud9.gif

1839-dime.jpg