• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Releases GW Presedential Dollars First Day Coin Covers On April 4th at Noon

38 posts in this topic

In case you weren't able to get an order in on Feb 15th for the FDI designation, the mint will have avaliable on April 4th at Noon a P & D Coin Cover Set from the First Day Of Production. This is as close to 'first strike' coins as it gets and will have a limited issue of 50,000 sets.-

2007 George Washington $1 Coin Cover (P21)

P21_popup.jpg

So if I buy these will NGC grade them as FDI. Do I not want to open the box from the mint or will that be alright.

If they will grade them as FDI, I have a felling the top pop figures will be changing for the better. These coins will be from the first day of production and have never been circulated unlike the FDI coins currently avaliable which were obtained from bank rolls on Feb 15th

Think any smoothies will be stuck in these packages?

Will the plastic holder allow you to see the edge?

By the looks of the picture, looks like about a 1/4" spacing around the edges.

So what do folks think of these in terms of potential value increases? I'm not a big fan of first day covers (I have the Sac and that's it) and I tell myself I don't buy coins as an investment, but I don't want to pass something up that could potentially be like the 1999 silver proof sets.

I love these! I don't collect them for the value. I collect them because I like them!

The Mint has been doing these covers since the Sac dollar was issued. I also have the Westward Journey nickel covers as well as all 50 States covers through 2006. I just think they're neat.

I will buy the President Dollar covers, too!

Scott hi.gif

So what do folks think of these in terms of potential value increases? I'm not a big fan of first day covers (I have the Sac and that's it) and I tell myself I don't buy coins as an investment, but I don't want to pass something up that could potentially be like the 1999 silver proof sets.

I think they should be at least as good of an investment as the FDI coins. With a NGC MS67 FDI selling for ~$500 and being that these would most likely grade higher if sent in since they don't come from bank rolls. They also are true coins from the first day of production, which is likely not the case with the FDI coins already graded.

If the state quarter covers are any indicator, these covers will be a good investment if left unopened in their cardboard mailers. If you check the prices of full sets through 2006 of quarter first day covers,unopened, you'll find that they bring a pretty good price.I like to get a few of each, then I open one to be able to look at and stash the others. I've always found them to be above average strikes with very few if any minor contact marks. Good luck ! CC

Well I got one set of these. Must not be a rush cause the order went thru fast!! Also, unless dates changes, show to ship 04/05

They're larger than the UNC sets ifI remember correctly. I have a few for the Westward Journey nickels, and I remember that they are larger.

I don't know about the boxes, but I use Lighthouse Vario 2c stock pages in a 3-ring binder to hold these FDCs. The 2c is all clear (the 2S has a black background) and contains two pockets for two covers. They are deeper than necessary, but it does not bother me and keeps the covers in place. I have been purchasing these pages from Hobby-Supplies.com.

Scott hi.gif

Hi, All

I ordered some of these on 04/04/2007 at 12:45 AM and today I received an email from the US Mint stating that my order has been backordered until 4/19/07! I went on the US mint web site and my order shipping is now showing 25 units backordered. Expected to ship on 04/21/2007. I wonder what the delay is at the Mint? Anyone else experiencing this delay? confused.gif

AAJ

I placed two orders when they became avaliable April 4th at Noon (ET). Both orders show 'In Stock and Reserved' order is 'In Process' credit card has been charged smile.gif I placed another order today and it says backordered until 04-21. I guess since only 50,000 were made they are getting close to selling out.

Something does not add up, the coins were produced in Nov. of 2006,

the covers were probably post marked as stated on 2/15. The coins

and the covers were re-united during the next ~1.5 months, then went

on sale 4/4.

I would have guessed, shipping could have started on 4/5 and 4/6

(not sure if they work on Sat.), only a few people have reported actual

shipping on 4/5.

In my own case, the order # 24796XXX was placed at 12:01 PM on 4/4,

at first, expected ship date was shown as 4/5.

The following day (4/5), the expected ship date was changed to; in-stock

and reserved, no change in status as of today.

CC shows a pending transaction, but not completed.

It would seem these items should have been on a shelf, waiting for shipping

labels to print out at the fulfillment center, then packaged and sent on their way.

Does this seems reasonable? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sometimes the CC payment is merely a verification that the Mint does in order to assure that the acct./card is still active and valid.

They probably had only a portion of the 50,000 produced ready for shipping. Anything having to do with the presedential dollars is extremely popular ATM.-

Surprisingly, sales have been very brisk for the presidential first day covers. Anything Presidential $1 coin is selling better than expected and better than quarters. Forecast for GW rolls doubled. Now it's George W. who is incredibly popular so I'm sure that's the major factor driving the numbers, but subscriptions for Proof Presidents are over 250K - huge subscription number. Have to see what Adams does.

Both of the orders I placed on April 4th at Noon (ET) have shipped smile.gif

Yea I ordered mine at 12:02 EST 04/04, was showing to ship 04/05, now shows to ship 04/21.

Mine changed and shows shipped today with a tracking #.

Yea I ordered mine at 12:02 EST 04/04, was showing to ship 04/05, now shows to ship 04/21.

Mine changed and shows shipped today with a tracking #.

I ordered the first day and they show that they won't be shipped till 4-22. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif