• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you ever dip a coin? If so, for what reason?

7 posts in this topic

First, let me say that I love nicely toned coins. I have, however recently dipped a coin that had already been cleaned and artificially re-toned. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I have dipped a coin with a fresh fingerprint to remove it. And I have also dipped a couple sacs to get the natural hazing off. I very quick rinse in this instance did fine. I kind of staying away from dipping a coin that's already been dipped to death cause it really does no good at all. Just kills the coin more.

Sure, if the coin was being dipped for the right reason. In my opinion, there are MANY coins that could be improved by a quick dip that is performed correctly. These would be mint state coins that have subdued luster due to haze, or negative eye appeal due to spotty or streaky dirty toning.

I do not believe that non mint state coins or those that are darkly toned should be dipped, as this would likely ruin these types of coins. Dipping a non mint state coin would remove whatever luster is remaining on the coin, giving it that typical gray dipped out look. The problem with trying to dip a darkly toned coin is that in order to accomplish the desired effect you would have to keep the coin in the dipping solution for so long that it too would lose all of its luster.

John

Yes - I have and the coin ended up a PF70 smile.gif ... it had a nice US MINT installed finger print on a Proof Kennedy.

Depends on the situation or coin ...

Would you ever dip a coin?

possibly....................

If so, for what reason?

more demand when selling

I do not think this is accurate as MOST buyers would stay clear 'knowing' a coin was dipped.

SOP (standard operating procedure) - I dip coins frequently.

Usually to remove unattractive toning, spots, fingermarks, etc. I like brilliant, white, highly lustrous coins.

Today I dipped a proof AGE getting some unattrractive hase off - the coin now looks like it just came back from the mint. Carefully put it back in its capsule and then in the box.

I also dipped a 2007-P Unc Jamestown Dollar to remove a spot before sending it for grading - hope to get MS 70.

Collectors like USM products with original USM packaging - so do I.