• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it live or is it memorex? Continued...

11 posts in this topic

I set it on top of merc dime.Same size except because of it's off roundness can see parts of merc dime rim.I've ask a couple of coin dealers and they to were puzzeled i guess i'll never know . unless i try to have it graded. but what if they wont or don't know what do i do

Send it to ICG. They slab anything. smile.gif

For my money, it's a post-mint alteration - I think the edge is too rough for a wrong-planchet strike. Perhaps a convict with too much time on his hands scraped some of the coin off and spooned a new rim.

Fascinating piece, though; just looking at it you know there has to be a story behind it.

I believe Michael means that the coin was originally a seated dime that was made smaller by someone after it left the mint. Although I believe it is much more likely a seated quarter or half if the coin is a half-inch in diameter, I believe Michael is correct about this being done post-mint. Hope this helps...Mike