• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Critique My New Photos (Death to Dialuppers)

34 posts in this topic

I just took these today. Mark Goodman(mgoodm3)'s photography article, which can be viewed here, was a great deal of help. How can I make these better?

1803LgCtObv.jpg1803LgCtRev.jpg

18652cObv.jpg18652cRev.jpg

18603csObv.jpg

18603csRev.jpg

18665cObv.jpg18665cRev.jpg

1824HalfObv.jpg1824HalfRev.jpg

2006SEObv.jpg2006SERev.jpg

2006SF5Obv.jpg2006SF5Rev.jpg

Looks like you need to work on white balance (they all seem to have a yellow cast, esp. the ASE). The $5 commemorative looks blurry to me, too.

Photoshop Elements is a great program. Although I prefer my Mac, Adobe does have a PC version for those of you still stuck with Windoze. You can either use a circular cropping tool or you can use the "Magic Extractor" to eliminate the backgroud. In a lot of cases, I use the Magic Extractor since it is easier than figuring out how to line up the cropping edges.

Scott hi.gif

take away the minor blurr

Hi Bruce,

I was thinking the same thing. How would you reccomend I do it? Mark's article said to increase aperture and shutter speed, which helped alot, but I can't quite get there. Also, My camera lense has a clear filter on it for protection, would that be hindering focus at all?

Zach

the photos are pretty darn good.

just figure out how to get them to fit the page so it doesn't go off the screen.

Sorry... wink.gif

the photos are pretty darn good.

just figure out how to get them to fit the page so it doesn't go off the screen.

Sorry... wink.gif

Just get a bigger screen. They work well on mine. smirk.gif

A couple of the pictures are out of focus, but that 1824 half dollar is nice.

Mark's article said to increase aperture and shutter speed, which helped alot, but I can't quite get there. Also, My camera lense has a clear filter on it for protection, would that be hindering focus at all?

Zach

Mark does know what he's talking about. I have his page bookmarked and have read it many times. But I find myself going the opposite way on this point. I find that by decreasing the aperture and shutter speed, obviously, the effect will be the opposite. I've been shooeting about f22 in Aperture mode (Canon Digital Rebel) which automatically dictates shutter speed. This way, every aspect of the coin is in focus. Even if the coin has a tilt to it, it will still be in focus.

You should probably try several different settings. What kind of camera are you using? Does it have different modes such as Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, etc.?

In aperture priority mode, if aperture is set to f22, shutter speed is automatically slowed down. In shutter priority mode, if shutter speed is set to 1/160 then aperture is automatically increased. The larger the increase, the more blur you have out side of the areas you are focusing on (Depth of Field). And by the same token the lower the aperture, the more "in focus" everything outside of your focus area is. But the important thing being, your whole coin will be in focus. Everything outside of that can be cropped out.

BTW, I think your pictures are so much better than ones you showed in your earlier threads.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I'm pretty sure that it has all of the modes you mentioned. I usually use either Manual or Aperture Priority, but I will have to try Shutter Priority. I think I will try to take a few more images right now, I'll post them tonight.

You have the same camera as I do. I've never tried Shutter Priority, just Aperture. I'll be curious to see how your shutter priority's come out. That's one nice thing about digital, you can take as many shots as you want and not worry about developing charges.

Here are two new ones, a bit smaller:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

I don't think that these two came out as well as the others. I still can't get the focus right.

The DCAM Proofs are really tough and unforgiving, they are the hardest coins I have imaged. I took these on the Manual setting, using a bit smaller aperture, around f/16, I think. I took off the clear filter, which had a finger print on it, so maybe that was part of the problem.

Also, I am using the zoom lens that came with the camera. I had been contemplating purchasing a Sigma 105mm dedicated Macro lense, but I haven't bought it yet. Would it help significantly?

Thanks,

Zach

I had been contemplating purchasing a Sigma 105mm dedicated Macro lense, but I haven't bought it yet. Would it help significantly?

Thanks,

Zach

Without a doubt. With a dedicated macro lens your focusing issues would be a thing of the past. A difference of night and day.

I think those images came out super.

I had been contemplating purchasing a Sigma 105mm dedicated Macro lense, but I haven't bought it yet. Would it help significantly?

Thanks,

Zach

Without a doubt. With a dedicated macro lens your focusing issues would be a thing of the past. A difference of night and day.

I think those images came out super.

Cool. I probably won't be able to get a macro lense for a few weeks, but I will keep you updated.

Zach

Zach, one thing I wanted to mention is that you should be commended for that 3c photo. Those things are miniscule! Congrats on being able to take such a nice photo of it. thumbsup2.gif

A couple of them look familiar, James? wink.gif

Sure do! In fact, I'll send a free coin to the first three people to guess which one (or more) of the imaged coins is mine. Zach, wanna make this into a little giveaway?

A couple of them look familiar, James? wink.gif

Sure do! In fact, I'll send a free coin to the first three people to guess which one (or more) of the imaged coins is mine. Zach, wanna make this into a little giveaway?

Sure James, whatever you want. smile.gif Am I allowed to guess? wink.gif

And for all the clever ones out there, the links in my sig line don't work anymore. tongue.gif