• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just conserved a Barber Quarter!

27 posts in this topic

I don't normally do this kind of thing. I will post before and after photo below. Sorry to all purists out there but I have destroyed the original surface.

Actually I removed what looked to be tape residue put there by the person who originally destroyed the original surfaces. I did this by soaking in Acetone then gently rubbing the quarter with my finger. I think I improved the coin. It looks like there may still be a bit left between the lettering and rim on the reverse.

Opinions or comments are welcome.

1899-S-Pre-Acetone-o.jpg1899-S-o.jpg

1899-S-Pre-Acetone-r.jpg1899-S-r.jpg

No need to apologize for true conservation. Please be careful when using acetone, and you might want to consider using a means of application other than your fingers. Acetone MSDS

What would be a proper applique for acetone other than one's finger? I mean one that would not scratch or harm the coin or the person? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

<<Please be careful when using acetone, and you might want to consider using a means of application other than your fingers.>>

I used to use lots of acetone in the printing biz. We were pretty casual with it. Maybe that explains all my current problems! smile.gif Seriously I will try a Q-tip when I do the reverse of that quarter and a dime I have. I made it this far and I want to be as healthy as possible from now on.

CCS - I like the sound of that! smile.gif

No need to apologize for true conservation. Please be careful when using acetone, and you might want to consider using a means of application other than your fingers. Acetone MSDS

They list water as slightly toxic, I believe. poke2.gif

They are alittle overzealous in their ratings.

Yup, all I used was acetone.

<<How long did you let the coin soak for?>>

I let the quarter soak over night. This morning I looked at it and it looked exactly like when I put it in. So I rubbed it gently with my fingers. The residue was very soft and came right off.

So an hour ago I tried it with a dime that was in the same condition. This time I just soaked it for a few minutes then wiped the residue off with a Q-tip. It worked just as well.

You vastly improved that coin, although it still needs a little work on the reverse. I always use Qtips when working with acetone, and make sure I open the window (my brain cells are precious to me.)

Make sure you sign the petition to ban Di-hydrogen Monoxide. It is one of the most deadly substances on earth. It kills far too many people a year, and we must not allow it to continue!

You did no harm to that coin whatsoever. Perhaps you may want to try using a rose thorn next time in order to remove the gunk from tight spots.

<<You did no harm to that coin whatsoever. Perhaps you may want to try using a rose thorn next time in order to remove the gunk from tight spots.>>

Cool suggestion! I love practices that achieve two purposes at the same time. Using a rose thorn will help me get the tight spots and will also pay back those durn plants for scratching me when I weed near them!!!

Make sure you sign the petition to ban Di-hydrogen Monoxide. It is one of the most deadly substances on earth. It kills far too many people a year, and we must not allow it to continue!

Is it more deadly than Hydroxic Acid? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah!! headbang.gif That’s right Jason…

And after that we can work on getting all that nasty Di-Monxide out of the atmosphere. insane.gif

Yeah!! headbang.gif That’s right Jason…

And after that we can work on getting all that nasty Di-Monxide out of the atmosphere. insane.gif

What the hell is "Di-Monoxide"? I think you might have too many prefixes...;)

<<You did no harm to that coin whatsoever. Perhaps you may want to try using a rose thorn next time in order to remove the gunk from tight spots.>>

Cool suggestion! I love practices that achieve two purposes at the same time. Using a rose thorn will help me get the tight spots and will also pay back those durn plants for scratching me when I weed near them!!!

Carl, I'd be very careful if you decide to use a Q-tip because it is not difficult to hairline a coin with it. Believe me, I know. sorry.gif

I'd have to be cautious with the q tip too.

I think you did a great job at it and vastly improved the coin.

I'd say you rescued it rather than altered it. Great job

I can safely say that Dihydrogen Monoxide kills far more people a year than Hydroxic acid. I can also say that without it, you would be dead (indeed, life as we know it would not be possible. )

I can safely say that Dihydrogen Monoxide kills far more people a year than Hydroxic acid. I can also say that without it, you would be dead (indeed, life as we know it would not be possible. )

You might want to check your facts on that first statement...

I think he is including drownings, floods, tsunamis, etc.

I think he is including drownings, floods, tsunamis, etc.

So am I.