• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1998 S "Matte Proof" Kennedy half

7 posts in this topic

I recently finished my set of PCGS certified Kennedy proofs by adding a nice 1998 S MS69 SMS. For a coin considered a key and relatively pricey, I would think info would be readily available. I can't find a reliable number for total mintage. I have seen one number as 23,089, but cannot verify. Any help? :confused:

According to PCGS population report they have graded 1642. I don't know the total mintage. Welcome to the NGC forum Ken. I see it is your first post.

The mintage I have always seen is 69 and some odd thousand.

It's weird that the RedBook doesn't list the mintage.

The 1998 Special Mint Set is the Kennedy Collector's Set. It contained the 1998-S RFK silver dollar in uncirculated condition and the 1998-S JFK half dollar being struck with specimen of Matte finish. They originally sold for, get this, $59 with no limit and there were 67,000 sets sold. I have not found any actual mintage figures, just the rounded up mint sold figures.

Ken, I did a search on Goggle and someone said they found a mintage of 62,350 in some North American Price Guide. I have no idea about the accuracy of that information.

Thanks to everyone so far. I am quite impressed with this many replies in an hour. Obviously, I have seen a wide range of numbers 20k being the low end, but the high 60k seems to be most reliable. That would mean that approximately 65% of the MS RFK dollars were sold in this set. By the way, most of my certified coins are NGC, I just did the Kennedys with PCGS due to a lucky bid with DLRC on the silver proofs. Maybe we can pin this one down for the record.

It wouldn't surprise me if even more than 65% of the MS RFK dollars were sold in these sets, I remember buying mine, and I wouldn't have bought the dollar if the matte proof half wasn't included in the set!