• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing! Your thoughts?

17 posts in this topic

So I walk into my local dealer yesterday and am browsing his coins. He usally has a good selection, but I have picked over his Washingtons. Anyhow he mentioned he had a new Washington Quater he thought I would like. So I get a bit excited and asked if I could see this mystery coin. He takes the coin he has sitting on his desk and hands it to me. I am in total shock! Immediately I ask how much. He gave me a price and it was sold. I never even knew such a coin existed. The date on this quarter is 1946 S. Here is the kicker. Check the image out. Yes the color is spot on.

1946saf.jpg

This coin somehow was produced on an off metal.

Ok now that you are drooling, how about I say April Fools! I may not be available on April fools so I had to get it in early. devil.gifdevil.gif

Good going Bruce! thumbsup2.gif

Actually, in early March I did see a WAY cool off metal coin at my local coin club. It was a 1906 Liberty nickel struck on an Indian head cent planchet. It really looked neat.

Cool Washington Quarter. What metal is it struck on?

It is Struck on the metal called April Fools!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifAPRIL FOOL ON YOU ! its still the 30th over hear in the UK 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Cool Washington Quarter. What metal is it struck on?

It is Struck on the metal called April Fools!

I think you're a couple of days early but that's alright. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

yes it is an unusual error and i have heard of them but never seen one

it is a rare trial strike the mint did for peru out of white metal and aluminum and some silver so the coins would be silvery and hence accepoted by the local populase and struck to the same weight and dimonsion sstandards of the washington quarter dollar

somehow some of the blank type 2 planchets got mixed in with the washington quarter dollar silver planchets

and this one got mixed it 893applaud-thumb.gif

superb

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1123b in the pattern book

I was going to let it run a bit, but I decided not too.. so in the original post I included April Fools. I knew about the quarters you speak of and thus why in theory it would have worked. I could just see it now the chaos I would have caused.... devil.gif