• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

another Washington error ?

7 posts in this topic

I've been searching thru dollars coins since last June for Cheerios Dollars and on my 4th dollar coin box. I asked the bank to get me another box and didnt specify the new GWs or the mix box of SBA and Sacs. Well my box was the new GW ...oh well - maybe i'll get lucky... the question i have is that has anyone seen on ebay a GW with the edge lettering off - like its 2 letters off . have 2 pics as attachments - or know what it might be called

thanks . just trying to jump on this GW craze bandwagon - Jeff

1723438-DSC00360b.JPG.00b0d01278dbfc326c55882381c87aa0.JPG

I’m not use if you can consider this an error however variety might be a better term.

It can also be a source of untold riches on ebay!

As stated in the May issue of "Coins".

According to the mint, ther positioning of the edge lettering and it's relationship to the obverse of the coin will be fixed on proof examples. Due to the use of the three part collar that encloses the proof planchets during during striking and impresses the edge design, the edge letting will begin at the same point relative to the obverse and reverse designs. Also, with the proofs, the top of the letters and numerals in the edge lettering will always read correctly when the presidential "Heads" side is up.

For the circulation strikes, the edge lettering is rolled into the edge after striking the face designs, so tops of letters could be orientated toward either side of the coin. Also, the position of the lettering in relation to the obverse and reverse designs will vary.

(Top coin)

The coin was rolling through the edging die and the letters were being put on in the order that we read them. It finished UNUM, went a little way and put in the dot. Then for some reason the coin stopped rolling but the edge die didn't. The raised point that created the dot tore out of the left side of the dot creating that smear we see to the left and since the coin wasn't rolling the I came further to the left before it dug into the coin and force it to start rolling again. This in effect shifted the entire IGWT to the left on the coin which also created the extra wide space between the final T and the second dot.

And "error" but not a major one.