• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940 -D and D Quarter Variety - Just Confirmed

19 posts in this topic

I recently submitted some coins to NGC one of which was a 1940 - D Quarter that I was certain was one of the elusive and very rare totally separated repunched D mintmark. I just viewed my order status and they have confirmed the variety as such, 1940 D/D VP-002 25C n/a n/a n/a n/a. I am totally pleased. According to the Cherrypicker's Guide this Variety rates a URS-3 on the Bowers Universal Rarity Scale which the book says indicates that 3 or 4 are known. This does not make sense to me since there are more than a few listed as being auctioned in the past on certain sites and the NGC population is 6. It also has an interest factor of I-5, the highest level and a Liquidity factor of L-5 again the highest. It is one of about 10 known repunched mintmarks that are totally separated.

The only pictures I currently have were taken before the coin was sent off. In order to see the portion of the second D to the left of the prominent one, you may have to save the pic. to you computer, open and enlarge that area. It is seen as two faint marks on the pic, a dot in the upper left corner and part of the bottom of the D showing below the dot. The bottom of the faint D is the shiny line that does show up on this pic below. In hand it is very evident.

Once I get final grade and the coin returned I will produce better pictures.

1940WashingtonQtrRepunchedD_0001.jpg

1940WashingtonQtrRepunchedD_0002-1.jpg

Bob,

That is great. To make things even more interesting is the origin of this coin. This quarter as with the other uncirculated quarters that my father put together in a set from 1932 through 1981 were acquired either by him putting aside new coins as they came out and in some cases going down to the bank to get the new coins representing each of the mints. He did this as well with sets of pennies, nickels, dimes and fifty cent pieces. This was separate from the mint sets and proof sets that he ordered form the mints. This quarter has been in a plastic Capitol holder for years and not until I began looking through our coins to inventory and began to look for varieties did we know we even had this. Just goes to show that as with many things, patience and dedication can definitely pay off. Original cost - $0.25 cents and a little bit of time....

Rey (rbrown4)

It's hard for some to imagine what a simple thing done today, like going by the bank and picking up a new pres dollar, sealiing it away for 60 years, could mean later on. Our fathers did this for most of their lives but most of our kids today could care less. I know my son has no interest in this at all-which is his prerogative--but is still somewhat disappointing. Great find. When I got my copy of Cherrypicker I found a 1964 D/D misplaced mintmark in AU with URS-2. I was similiarly tickled as it had lain in a holder for maybe thirty years.

Very rewarding find.

Jim

I hate to think of all the coins I lost years ago to a thief not knowing if I would have been able to find these new finds in some of them. Oh well, can't cry over spilt milk.

To further expand on the interesting and quite amazing history behind these coins, in the same set of quarters there was also a 1932 D MS-64 and a 1936 D MS-62. My father was 15 years old in 1932, living in West Texas and had just begun to collect coins. His aunt who lived in California at the time sent him one each of a 1932, P, D and S. My father ended up losing or misplacing these 3 coins on the ranch they lived on. He went into town soon thereafter and replaced these three with new ones from the local bank. He remembers this because it was the start of his "serious" Washington Quarter collection.

I have learned that the history/pedigree behind the coins can be just as important as the coin itself to certain people. So I am diligently trying to review the history of the coins in the collection with my father who turns 90 next month. There are some very interesting stories behind some of them and as the opportunity arises I will share some of these with everyone.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721-1.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg