• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would cause this on silver??

6 posts in this topic

I was looking thru my proof sets hoping to find those new die cracks. 27_laughing.gif No such luck. But I did notice this on my 99' set of silver quarters. This is a quick pic but I hope you can see where it looks like it's dis-coloring on them. It's like a copper color when you get the light just right. has anyone else seen this or know what it might be and what's causing it?? Everywhere that you see the dark color on these are where it's turning? Thanks!! I have a bigger pic, but hoped maybe the 600pix would be better.

99fullset600pix.jpg

Hello, I just bought a set of 2001 on EBay and the they had toning on the bust at the neckline in the frosted area. The flat serface was just fine. I set mine back for a refund. It was only on the quarters, 4 out of 5. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Your silver quarters proof set appears to be starting to tone. From the photo, it doesn't look as though they are spotted, just toned gold. Many silver products from the mint will form a golden toning (as packaged) over the years after issue. I have several modern mint packaged coins that have the same gold toning as your coins do.

Your silver quarters proof set appears to be starting to tone. From the photo, it doesn't look as though they are spotted, just toned gold. Many silver products from the mint will form a golden toning (as packaged) over the years after issue. I have several modern mint packaged coins that have the same gold toning as your coins do.

Well I'll be danged. I guess I'll live with it and hope that the toning looks better over time. Right now, it looks like *spoon*. Thanks ta'll!

When I received my set from the Mint, the Virginia coin had already started to tone on the reverse. My first thoughts were................"Cap'n, sails on the horizon."..............."Lookout, which ship she be?"..............."Sir, it's the Golden Hind!"

I think it's pretty!

1723481-IMG_1476.JPG

Chris

1723481-IMG_1476.JPG.8f0bf46486009c461511f03b2330ffba.JPG