• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Spouse Coins

7 posts in this topic

Any smart people know how many presidents served without a spouse?

I'm looking forward to those gold spouse coins because they're supposed to display an image of Liberty on the obverse that was representative of the time period.

I want to see the Jefferson Bust gold coin and wonder if we'll get a seated liberty, standing liberty, etc. Bet these with be the only popular gold spouse coins.

Good question. I think there will be three spouse coins with liberty and I also hope one will be a Seated Liberty design.

Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, and James Buchanan.

Add President Chester A. Arthur (21st president) whose wife Ellen died in 1880 from pneumonia. Arthur became president in September 1881 after the death of President James Garfield from the effects of a gun shot wound in an attempted assassination.

In the First Spouse program, Alice Paul will be honored since Arthur served without a spouse. Alice Paul was a noted suffragist and feminist was born in 1885, during the Arthur administration. Paul, who earned three law degrees, was instrumental in the efforts to get the 19th Amendment passed ("The right of citizens in the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.") and authored the the (later defeated) Equal Rights Amendment. Paul died in 1977 near her birthplace of Paulsdale, New Jersey.

Now you know the rest of the story!

Scott hi.gif

There will be two next year (Jackson and Van Buren), both using the classic head design, one from the half eagle and one from the quarter eagle. James Buchanan is in 2010, and will likely feature a coronet type eagle, unless that Alice Paul thing turns out to be, in that case, my interest in this program will end in 2008!