• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

H.L. Hunley's Lt. Dixon Lucky Double Eagle Question

4 posts in this topic

I saw in the news today that an 1841 Seated Liberty Dime was just found in the Confederate sub H.L Hunley. Back in 2001, they recovered an 1860 $20 double eagle that was the sub commander Lt. Dixon's lucky coin that had saved his life at Shiloh.

Does anyone remember if the ANA's Numismatist magazine ever covered Lt. Dixon's lucky coin story? I know Coin World and a host of other publications covered the coin, but I specifically am interested in knowing if there was a Numismatist article. My copies of the Numismatist don't go back that far.

I think I recall seeing an article on the double eagle in the numismatist, but I cannot recall the timeframe.

I don't know if Billy gets the Post and Courier in Charleston, but the paper has had several stories about it. Charleston is quite proud of the Hunley, and there is a museum where it is housed.