• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you use individual coins in more than one Registry set ?

24 posts in this topic

Hi folks hi.gif

Just curious what your own preferences are and thoughts on this.

So far my own scheme is to use my individual coins in only one set.

Thanks,

Fergie.

Considering I am doing 1976 coins and Ike Dollars, I am using the 1976 Ike Dollars in multiple sets. MS Ike dollars did not strike well and finding MS66-67 coins are difficult and expensive. If I find a high grade Ike dollar, it's going in both registry sets.

But that's my preference!

Scott hi.gif

Thank you for the reply ScottB,

Good, thats the thoughts I'm looking for.

I am just simply curious and do not want to start any kind of debate.

So everyone please feel free to let us know how you do it.

Thanks, Fergie.

I just have my jeffersons and only use them in the proof dates. I haven't even looked to see what other registries they may fall into. Thanks fergie, you may just give me some initiative to scatter them all about! 27_laughing.gif

BUT IT only counts as ONE coin in all sets ... I believe you do not accumulate points posting in as many sets as you can find !

I may be wrong but not usually smile.gif

BUT IT only counts as ONE coin in all sets ... I believe you do not accumulate points posting in as many sets as you can find !

I may be wrong but not usually smile.gif

I'm not sure what you mean or how it works. I would think that if I started another registry, I put one of my existing coins in another registry to that new registry that it would compile points in the new one. But it would be like starting a new registry and would still have to add coins of that registries set type. Did I make any sense at all here?? insane.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Not true.

I used to only use my coins in one set. Then, a member gave me the idea of stuffing a bunch of coins into a Type Set. I did Auto-Build Best Set, and nearly doubled my registry points.

It happened for me... But Type Sets may be an entirely different animal. Take Proof Jefferson Nickels for instance. I could use them in the Proof Jefferson nickel set, and a type set. Assume that combined in the two sets the total is 1,000 points. If I were to want to put the Jeffersons in a proof set (ex: 2004 proof set) then I do not think I would get extra points for that.

Does that make sense?

Well I decided to start another registry of MS jeffersons. I have a MS67 1965 that gave me 366 points right off the bat but no numismedia value. 2 MS jeffersons and I'm already in 24th place. Not bad! yay.gif

thanks,

I am very dense. Seriously, it can take alooonnggg time for my brain to process some things. popcorn.gif ( me waiting for my private realizations to occur ) 27_laughing.gif

Hey, bsshg40, why don't you do a 38-64 jeff MS set ?

Fergie.

thanks,

I am very dense. Seriously, it can take alooonnggg time for my brain to process some things. popcorn.gif ( me waiting for my private realizations to occur ) 27_laughing.gif

Hey, bsshg40, why don't you do a 38-64 jeff MS set ?

Fergie.

The earliest graded jefferson I have is a 65'. These jefferson's were a fluke for me starting them. Don't even know how I got started. confused-smiley-013.gif

When you use a coin multiple times, the TOTAL REGISTRY POINTS takes the highest value that a particular coin received. For instance if a nickel gets 10 points in a date/series set, but that same nickel gets 15 points in a type set ... the TOTAL wil be based on that nickel being worth 15 points and not 10+15 points.

At least this has been my observation.

This is kind of on the subject but not. What’s to stop someone from just trying to get points for their registry, if someone really wanted to, they could just search ebay, look for the 70’s, copy some numbers and than add that coin to their registry. I know, what’s the point, but there are some really weird people out there!!! Any thoughts, thanks!!!

I'm sure it has been done before and people can get away with doing that until that coin gets registered by another person, which then it may become a dispute that NGC would have to settle as to who owns the coin. If the coin never gets registered by the true owner, then it can stay on someone else's registry, although falsely.

This is kind of on the subject but not. What’s to stop someone from just trying to get points for their registry, if someone really wanted to, they could just search ebay, look for the 70’s, copy some numbers and than add that coin to their registry. I know, what’s the point, but there are some really weird people out there!!! Any thoughts, thanks!!!

There is really nothing to stop anyone from doing that and I would bet that it happens more frequently than many folks would guess.

I use cons in more than one registry set. If you think about it, IMHO it does not make sense to buy three of the same coin for, say, a 20th Century Type set, a mint set and a denomination set which all require that specific coin.

i have had that happen to me. i was selling a coin and had pic of whole slab, the day after i put it up for auction i had a request saying that so'n'so wanted me to transfer when i didnt even sell it. i just make sure that every coin i have is in regestry list (doesnt have to be in sets) that way its like securety alarm smile.gif