• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln Cent Toning - Effects from Whitman Holders

11 posts in this topic

I have some Lincoln Cents that have been stored in the older Whitman Holders. As I go through the coins, some of them have a more dull reverse which was against the backing in each space and in some cases the coloring is more of a blue, blue green and green. Is some of this a type of corrosion from the holder material? Here is a picture of one.

Thank you,

Rey

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

That is typical toning from the folders. Yes it is caused by the chemicals in the paper/cardboard. Eventually they will all turn brown.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the Lincoln Cents but I assume this has a somewhat negative effect on the grade of these, correct?

Rey

Grade and color are two separate issues. Supposed to be anyway. Copper is designated Red (RD), Red-Brown (RB), or Brown (BN). The TPG's will give copper a grade, 65, then a color designation, i/.e., MS65 RB.

I never bothered to look at my original collection in Whitman boards.

After all, I diligently LICKED the back of each hole to better help the coins STICK IN!

Ah, youth.

foreheadslap.gif

I diligently LICKED the back of each hole to better help the coins STICK IN!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Forget about the coins, have you checked your tongue lately? Maybe it’s a POP 1 * 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

John

The toning should not affect the grading. The cardboard will do this. I would presume if these were stored in the sun, they would be even more toned!

I diligently LICKED the back of each hole to better help the coins STICK IN!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Forget about the coins, have you checked your tongue lately? Maybe it’s a POP 1 * 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

John

Dude you rock ... Beat me to the same comment foreheadslap.gif

Thanks. I'll be here all week. wink.gif

As for the topic of this thread, it is very common for cents to tone like this when stored in cardboard folders or albums. It does not affect the coin's grade, but it will affect the color designation and this can have a big impact on the value of the coin.

I have an almost complete set of mint state Lincoln cents (missing only four coins) that I cracked out of holders and stored in a Dansco album for years. Quite a few of the coins developed what I consider to be very pretty toning. I don’t have access to the images right now, but maybe later tonight I’ll post a few if anyone is interested.

John