• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photos! And a Grading Challenge

18 posts in this topic

Are my photos improving? What do you guys think? Thanks for feedback!

1930S1c.jpg

1969D50c.jpg

1976D50c.jpg

1976Ssilver50c.jpg

2004D5c.jpg

19551c.jpg

194010c.jpg

Better yet, can you hazard a grade guess from these images? All the coins are NGC slabbed.

Ummhh, like, no....... 893naughty-thumb.gif

What are you doing Munkyman ?

If this is "improving, ....what were the previous attempts like. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, FYI, the parties in pendragon's sign-rantpost.gif

Fergie.

I do like the obverse of the 1955 cent...alot. It shows character. The other pics are either a little out of focus or not enough lighting.

Don't be discouraged, however. This coin photography stuff is tough. Sometimes I nail it and sometimes I'm not even close.

Ok, I will be nice, and sober,

Lets see, Munkyman, they look a little fuzzy, like they have a fog over the pictures.

Or is it me, or maybe I should clean the screen.

What did you do ?

Anyone else see the foggy ?

Fergie.

Victor, i ike the obverse of that cent also. It came out the best of all the photos. These are quick, point and shoot shots. I still don't have a tripod! I need to get one...

Munkyman, the haze, whats up with that ?

Is your lens clean, it looks like it is taken thru a dirty lens.

Maybe it's the light source.

What kind of light did you use ?

They look diffused, like the light is ??? I dunno.

Fergie.

I just used the camera flash... My camera won't focus on something really small like these coins closer than about 2 ft. So I hold the camera above the coin, and zoom in onto the coin. Then I take the picture.

It could just be out of focus a little.

Honestly, they could use some work. I think you're pretty limited by your setup and camera body and lens. The big two problems I see are underexposure and focus. Both of which would be vastly improved with a tripod and better lighting. It's possible to get passable shots handheld with a flash, but you'll never approach the consistency and quality of a dedicated setup for coin photography. See my own one for an example of a cheap setup that produces quite decent results.

My inexpensive setup

I think you need to eliminate your flash and use more original lighting. Also, maybe the halfway down button on your camera so it has time to process the coin better. You're being able to pickup the luster which is nice, but still need to have a little better focus abilities. I'm not much better Chad, but this is just my 2 cents.

I use the halfway down button... If I didn't, you wouldn't be able to tell that the photos were even of a coin, much less the GRADE.

I think you need to eliminate your flash and use more original lighting. Also, maybe the halfway down button on your camera so it has time to process the coin better. You're being able to pickup the luster which is nice, but still need to have a little better focus abilities.

Exellent advice!

I use the halfway down button... If I didn't, you wouldn't be able to tell that the photos were even of a coin, much less the GRADE.

I would say your lighting then Chad. Probably would improve greatly!! thumbsup2.gif

Ok, I will be nice, and sober,

Lets see, Munkyman, they look a little fuzzy, like they have a fog over the pictures.

Or is it me, or maybe I should clean the screen.

What did you do ?

Anyone else see the foggy ?

Fergie.

Have another beer, Fergie!

Chris

Chad, I agree with the others. You have to turn off your flash, use other lighting, get a tripod and preview your shot by depressing the shutter release halfway.

Chris

Use two lights Chad, one on each side of the coin on on angle that keeps the camera from making a shadow on the coin. Use 60 to 100 watt Reveal bulbs in cheap stands, this will also give you lots of light for the camera to focus better and take a shorter exposer, then your pics will be sharper. thumbsup2.gif

Use two lights Chad, one on each side of the coin on on angle that keeps the camera from making a shadow on the coin. Use 60 to 100 watt Reveal bulbs in cheap stands, this will also give you lots of light for the camera to focus better and take a shorter exposer, then your pics will be sharper. thumbsup2.gif

This is sound advice, no matter what type of lights you use. Get a tripod as well. There are some really cheap ones that work well.