• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you know if these lenses are any good??

17 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get a macro lens for canon so I can take my coin pics close-up, but my lens far enough away to be able to maintain good lighting. Does anyone have any opinions on these?? thanks!

I actually had a link to ebay for some after-markets and I guess I was too tired last nite and forgot. What ya think of these? Think they would work halfway decent?

link to lenses

I like using a 150mm macro, but it stays on the copy stand. It's a bit heavy to carry around.

This nickel image let me be about 12 to 14 inches from the coin. Lots of room for lights. Many like using 100mm as well.

Image_0064new.jpg

I'm looking to get a macro lens for canon so I can take my coin pics close-up, but my lens far enough away to be able to maintain good lighting. Does anyone have any opinions on these?? thanks!

I'm absolutely infatuated by my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro. If there's something better out there, my blood pressure couldn't stand it. smile.gif

1852TrimeObv.jpg

The set-up positively smokes ! thumbsup2.gif

Whatcha mean fergie. Did you check out the ebay link on those lenses? They are suppose to be stackable for a total of 7 power. I was thinking of getting a set of these but don't want to waste my money!

Whatcha mean fergie. Did you check out the ebay link on those lenses? They are suppose to be stackable for a total of 7 power. I was thinking of getting a set of these but don't want to waste my money!

Those "lenses" are clear filter magnifiers. You can buy them in different sizes (depending on your lens diameter) and magnifications.

I bought a set of Quantaray 58mm close-up filters (+1, +2, and +4) for about $25 at my local camera shop. Yes they work great and they reduce the focusing distance from the lens to the object. I have only been using them to get in real close to identify errors, but I also plan to use them for some nature close-ups this spring.

********************************************************************************

Canon EOS XTi with Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro USM lens, great for close-ups, but also nice for portraits and general shooting too:

Emma-small.jpg

Bobby I own a set of those for my Canon Digital Rebel. A few things you should know. When use them you need to be close up on the coin to start with. They will not work from far away. They do work fairly well. You will also need to be straight on as these take away the depth of the field some. Angles do not work that well with these. For the price I think it would be worth your time.

I was actually hoping that they would enable me to be a little further away from the coin in order for me to work with my lighting a litle better. My canon S3 will let me get right on top of the coin but I jeopardize my lighting in doing so. I'll pactice a few different methods with them and see what happens. Thanks bruce!

Bobby I own a set of those for my Canon Digital Rebel. A few things you should know. When use them you need to be close up on the coin to start with. They will not work from far away. They do work fairly well. You will also need to be straight on as these take away the depth of the field some. Angles do not work that well with these. For the price I think it would be worth your time.

I got these in today Bruce. I'm gonna try them out either tonite or tomorrow and see how they work for me. I know one thing, you take some beautiful pics. If I can get close to those, I'll be happy!

Thanks for the praise. Honestly I rarely use those rings anymore. I cannot wait to get my new camera setup so I can take even better pictures! I will be going from a 6 MP camera to a 12 MP camera or so. Good luck!

Bobby When use them you need to be close up on the coin to start with. They will not work from far away. They do work fairly well.

I took a couple pics this evening with these. I'm getting some great luster from my morgan. I'm still waiting to get another light tho' cause I'm shadowing off one edge. But I was about 6" away from the coin, taking it at little over 2800pix. The coin was clear as a bell. I know I could've cropped it to 800pix and still would have looked great. I'm gonna practice more with them when I get anothetr light tho'. I need that bad!