• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Buffalo 5 Cents - Requesting Opinions

24 posts in this topic

Here is a 1913-S Variety 1 and a 1938 D Buffalo that I am thinking of taking with me to the Baltimore show this weekend. I have yet to have a Buffalo graded so if anyone has some thoughts on these two, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

rbrown4

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0332-2.jpg

IMG_0333-2.jpg

Here is a 1913-S Variety 1 and a 1938 D Buffalo that I am thinking of taking with me to the Baltimore show this weekend. I have yet to have a Buffalo graded so if anyone has some thoughts on these two, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

rbrown4

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0332-2.jpg

IMG_0333-2.jpg

I'll say Ms-65 on the 13 and Ms-66 on the 38 893applaud-thumb.gif great coins hail.gif

I not an expert or even novice on this series but that 38 is awesome. I would think at least a 64 and maybe as high as a 67.

The 13 S is a HIGG AU coin. Now that is not to say it would not land in an MS holder. The 38 D looks MS 66 from the images givin the luster is there.

I'd call the 1913 an AU58 and the 1938-D an unknown. Not enough info from the photos. In terms of details, the '38 could go 65, but the carbon spot in front of the Indian's nose might keep the coin at a 64.

Hoot

By what I have read 1913-S Variety I and II are usually unevenly struck, with weak spots in the details. In the 20's the Liberty as well as the horn and tail is particulary weak apparently.

I will see what kind of grading opinion I can get from one of the TPG's tomorrow at the show.

Thanks,

rbrown4

I'd call the 1913 an AU58 and the 1938-D an unknown. Not enough info from the photos. In terms of details, the '38 could go 65, but the carbon spot in front of the Indian's nose might keep the coin at a 64.

Hoot

This is a very accurate asesment. One of the first places to check on a buffalo nickel the the rear end area. you will see flatness on the buffalo.

I'd say about a 67 on the 13 and a 66 on the 38. Nice buffalo's. I like!!!

I think that I may have to change my mind here. I still like the 38. I still think it would come close to the MS67. Not much knowledge on what the carbon spot would knock it down tho'. I think that the 13, I originally said MS67, but I'm thinking that the liberty is not a weak strike as it looks worn down with the rim on that side. AU for it if so. I'm not the best with buffalos confused-smiley-013.gif, so I may be wrong and for sure know I'll be corrected if so. 27_laughing.gif

The 13 to me just looks like a weak strike which most definatly will not keep it out of a MS holder the reverse is pristine not circ, and the 38 I would put a 65 to 66 too bad for that spot but hey I've seen 69's in holders with that same kind of spot only not black. thats my opinion as a professional opinionater. takeit.gif

Consensus from the TPGs at the show today is AU-58 on the 1913 and MS-64 on the 1938. The carbon spot did prevent it from going higher.

Thanks for all of the opinions on these.

If the 13 goes MS then I think it will grade 62 obv(weak strike) and 64 rev netting 63. I feel the 38 will grade 66 or maybe 67 if the spot doesn't downgrade it. I don't think it will, but then thats just IMHO.

Jim